GPS problems with lumia 640xl

Can anyone find out why sometimes the gps cant find the location where u are at and it shows " couldn't find ur location" and some times it just gets stuck at one place for like hours and isn't even active....

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 1,001 Applies to:

because...you have not read forums....

many many many people are having the same issues....GPS on most lumias WORKS almost only with internet (data or wifi wathever...)!!!! i am one of those having huge issues with offline GPS...since day one!

people with 730/735, 535, 640,640 XL etc...many of those in usa, europe, africa etc...encounter similar issues...

some state it is because of denim 8.1...other say because of faulty hardware...

for me it is a software issue, as gps always works with internet...so the chip DOES WORK!

if you find a solution tell us...for the time, live with it and read what others say

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, shenrai. You may consider the suggestions provided here: How do I get the best performance from GPS?. Additionally, enabling Wi-Fi on your phone allows your phone to use information from that access point to find your position faster, at lower power, and more accurately, particularly when you're indoors. Without a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection, it may take longer for location services to locate your phone, or it may not work at all.

Hello, karim.genio. What exactly happens when you are navigating offline with your downloaded maps? Note that search results might be limited in offline mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

i am not talking about navigation...using offline maps here or similar

i am saying that OFFLINE gps (the device itself) does not WORK in 90% of the cases on many many lumia phones (640/640xl/535,630 and even 950...) be in ins USA, FRANCE, north africa...

many people on forums are confirming this...one signal is locked on..navigation works fine on "here maps" or any other guided gps app

to know if my GPS works i use "gps satellite" or "hardware test" apps that are great. they indicate to me if GPS is cellular or satellite or wifi. yet in 90% of the time no matter the country!... it says "gps signal initializing"

on my old android phones...GPS works every single time even indoors....so i really suspect in its a problem in lumia phones (mostly dual sims - locked or unlocked - according to my readings).....hopefully software, as some report that their GPS was better before 8.1 denim update....

please note that GPS works 100% when i use internet: be it a modem, shared phone connection or 3g data...

i already transmitted a full report on MS france forums....hoping W10 improved things

Sorry this didn't help.

We understand your situation, karim.genio. To further check if it is a software or hardware related issue, we recommend visiting the nearest Care Point in your area. Make sure that you have backed up all of your files to avoid data loss. To locate/search the nearest one, contact your local Microsoft Mobile support by going here: https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/locale/.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey i  have found a work around keep your wifi on it doesn't matter if its connected or not and location as well gps will work fine i have tested  this on my lumia 640 xl 

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the tip....but actually i have already tested that....and it DOES NOT work at 100%! sometimes yes...it does work when wifi is on...but MANY times it is the same...GPS does not work!

maybe you have not conducted many tests....at first i also said "yay..." but after 6-10 tests in different places...well in manly fails to get gps lock-up....

hoping again...that redstone update will make thinks better...as it has been a year since i got my 640xl and GPS still sucks....

the only thing that WORKS is if you enable gps and stay in the same SPOT without MOVING...for 3-6 minutes (outdoor). GPS will work in 95% of cases...that is the ONLY WORK-AROUND there is

Sorry this didn't help.