c101a7d1 when updating, 80004005 when installing apps from Store

Hi

I'm experiencing an issue with a particular app that doesn't want to update and now issues with installing.

Yesterday the app Progonza was requesting to update. This failed time after time with the error c101a7d1. It therefore uninstalled the app and want to install it again which gives me the error 80004005.

I tried to download another app and this works fine.

Specs:

Lumia 630 (no SIM lock)

WP version Lumia Cyan

Free internal storage space: 3GB

Free SD card storage space: 12GB+

Thanks in advanced

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2018 Views 3,461 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Ok, I've searched a bit online and came up with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781172

Here they say that c101a7d1 is an issue related to the certificate (or purchase status). In my case I think it is because when I downloaded the app Prognoza, it was free while now it has become a paid app.

When I tried to update the app it resulted in error c101a7d1 because I don't have the correct license (as I have the "free" licence and never paid for it). When trying to install it after I uninstalled it gives me the generic error 80004005 because of the same story: the store thinks I already own the app but actually never paid for it.

Conclusion? Seems like a bug to me. If I would like to buy it I would be unable to do so (as the store thinks I already own it, but always gives me an error when trying to download it again and never gives me the ability to start paying for it).

Don't think app builders will be happy with this one ;)

I don't think there is a real solution for this one. Because all your purchases (also the free ones) are linked to your Microsoft account you can only solve this one by switching to another account. Not really a solution for a lot of users ;) So you would have to stick with the "old version" and never update (but get this error every time you want to update) or remove it and find yourself an alternative.

Microsoft could either solve this by:

- Give the user that initially downloaded the free app also the ability to upgrade to the paid one free of charge

- Give the user the ability to pay for the app or (if they are not willing to pay) ignore the update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

More info, from the comments in the article Gabor posted:

http://www.windowscentral.com/mytube-20-completely-rebuilt-1080p-youtube#comment-1541904

Since you are the dev I thought I'd share a response I received when this happened for 8.1 HD Tiles, which doesn't have a trial, without the person's name.

"Hi,
We are extremely sorry about the bug. We are also aware of the issue. The problem is with the latest Windows phone OS. We have contacted Microsoft on the issue. Windows Phone 8.1 has a bug while updating a free app that has now become paid. The only way to get the update is to uninstall and reinstall the app from it's web site. Even then, you will be asked to pay for installation. This seems to be a major bug, but they are not to keen to fix this.

So as we value our customer's satisfaction. We have created a private Beta version for our existing users. So kindly send us your Microsoft Live ID with which you have connected your Windows Phone device. We will add your id to beta user list and you can use the app for FREE. This version would also receive frequent updates and popular shortcuts as the original version. Hope that would be helpful.

Regards,
Avedna Krea Support"

When I sent the purchase history for mytube to reinstall, it said I never purchased it. When I searched through the store via PC, and clicked on the trial, I have the app back, but lost the ownership. Easiest remedy is either put those with the issue in the beta, or put it for free for a limited time to help those who don't have it anymore.

I no longer can prove I downloaded it during the free app promotion, but if possible, I'd love to get the full features again, without paying, like it should be.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.