Can I change my Microsoft account without resetting the phone?

HI,

Am totally new to smart phones. Got one just two days ago. And, got a Lumia 920. Excellent phone! So, now, when setting it up, I used one of my live ids without knowing what it was going to do with it. apparently, it set up my email account which it calls the Microsoft Account and uses it when i go to the store, skype etc.

All I now want to do is change the account without having to reset the phone. Can you please tell me exactly where to tap or hold to do this?
This http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2430020 link asks me to reset the account. And, the phone scares me that it will delete all my apps and personal data blah blah blah if I reset it :)

Btw, you folks have done an excellent job with the Windows Phone 8!

Thanks,
Karthik

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 145,044 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Why do you think you need to change your Microsoft account?

The ONLY way to change the primary Microsoft account that is used on the phone is by hard resetting the phone & setting it up agaib with a different Microsoft account. When you reset the phone the phone will be returned to the state it was in when you bought it. All your personal data and any apos tou installed to the phone will be removed from the phone.

Microsoft Insider MVP

150 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You can sync or backup most of your data to SkyDrive, your Microsoft account and your computer, reset your phone, set up the different Microsoft account on the phone AND any secondary Microsoft accounts to the phone & then sync the personal data back to the phone. What are you concerned about losing permanently?
Microsoft Insider MVP

68 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.