Should I worry about viruses or malware?

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

Details

What is a virus?

Computer viruses are small software programs that are designed to spread from one computer to another and to interfere with computer operation.

Is my Nokia Series 40 or Asha device at risk from viruses?

Absolutely not. Series 40 (also known as S40) devices can only run Java applications in .jad or .jar formats, these can only be installed and run at your own instigation, no program can get into your Series 40 phone without your knowledge, and it would not be possible for them to make changes to your device operating system.

Is my Nokia Symbian device at risk from viruses?

Currently there are no Symbian viruses in circulation. Symbian S60 and Symbian^3 devices are not subject to virus attacks in the traditional sense, no program can be installed into your Symbian device without your knowledge. There have been no known viruses for Symbian devices since S60 2nd Edition (Nokia's last devices with that version of the OS were in 2006).

Virus developers never saw serious benefit in developing viruses for Symbian devices because of the fact that it is not possible to install software without the user's knowledge, which rather defeats the object of the exercise. A compatibility break between S60 2nd Edition and later versions of Symbian means that recent devices have not been at risk from the small number of experimental Symbian viruses previously created.

Is my Lumia device at risk from viruses?

The Windows Phone operating system of your Lumia can only be changed by over-the-air updates from Mircrosoft which come from secure servers direct to your phone or during a repair process. There is no way that code from any other source can get into the phone's core operating system. Furthermore, any app that you install has it's own secure area of memory where it and its data are stored. This "sandboxed" memory cannot be accessed by any other apps, and apps also cannot make changes to the OS, so your Lumia device is well protected against the threat of viruses.

Can a virus in my PC also affect my Nokia S40 or Symbian device?

No, your PC has a totally different operating system to your Nokia mobile device, and no program be it legitimate or malicious which is designed to run on a PC would work on a Nokia S40 or Symbian device.

Can a virus in my PC also affect my Nokia Lumia device?

No. Whilst the system architecture is similar, the restrictions that prevent external software from accessing the OS or other apps protects your Lumia phone from virus infection.

What is malware?

Malware, short for malicious software, consists of programming (code, scripts, active content, and other software) designed to disrupt or deny operation, gather information that leads to loss of privacy or exploitation, gain unauthorized access to system resources, and other abusive behaviour.

Is my Nokia device at risk from malware and how should I protect it?

There are potential risks, particularly concerning abuse of your data stored in the phone which may be relayed to third parties without your knowledge. As with viruses, it is not possible for software to install itself onto your device without your knowledge, but it is possible for an application that you install yourself to have malicious intent. The best way to protect yourself is to download apps only from trustworthy sources, and resist the temptation to obtain pirated software - you may have the initial benefit of not paying for commercial software, but the consequences may not be so pleasant.

Forum Article Info

Last updated October 13, 2018 Views 16,286 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

But regarding Tradedexchange redirect who is responsible.

I am still facing problems in surfing through browser.

Pl advise

!

I'm having a nightmare with tradexchange! I've had this crp on my laptop, phone and tablet for at least.a year! Norton is useless, and can't touch it!

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Hi, I am looking for help please. As of about a month I keep getting a load of pop-up adverts and redirects whilst using Internet Explorer on my Nokia Lumia 530. I thought it was restricted to just one website initially, but now it gives me pop-ups all the time, or I get redirected to sites that I have never heard of. Can anyone suggest a means of stopping this happening, please? Sincerely appreciated!

you said

"

Absolutely not. Series 40 (also known as S40) devices can only run Java applications in .jad or .jar formats, these can only be installed and run at your own instigation, no program can get into your Series 40 phone without your knowledge, and it would not be possible for them to make changes to your device operating system.

"

please may i enquire how that fits in with the register article avalible at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/11/s40_security_issues/

this fits into the general scheme of people claim their platform does not need an anti-virus when it obviusly does. i'm not saying that it does need an anti-virus but this is defeniatly a post i would regard as tempting fate. 

get an anti-virus.

that is more or less the advice i would give to anyone who is having virus based dificulties. if you had BIOS i would recomend a system rescue tool but most phones require you to boot directly to the OS. and so i recomend you just install an antivirus.

here is the download for kaspersky http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/product-updates/mobile-device-security

their are no other antivirus apps i know of for your nokia phone or WP in general.

i hope you found this helpful kapersky also make a secure browser (avalible from http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/11053 ) as it is comon knowlage that microsoft messed up security in IE. you can also use mainstreem browsers like chrome and others to inprove your security.

saddly the link above may not help as their are more ant-virus resistent computer viruses for comfort these days (much like their biologicle kin) but if it doesn't work try searching the windows store (somehting i didn't have time to do).

you can also try scanning your phone with your computer anti-virus and consult help for infected variations of IE.

if the above don't work then you can alwaysed try upgrading to 10 and hoping for the virus to have incompatfibility isuse.

also check your installed aplications for anything you consider to be suspicus or in void of the normal security gidelines (A.K.A. ilegal)

AVG had a scanner way back when windows phone was windows CE with the CE bit replaced with phone but they had problems with people acusing it of being spyware (a bit like the trouble they had perswading people that their router wich could read all of your browsed webpages helped keep you anomnamus.

i appologise for bad spelling.

~caz 88888

Plz help I am also been redirected automatically to facebook login I cant search anything
what phone do you have?
l use a Lumia 532 which is not function as well as it did initially and is increasingly have problems. Unfortunately my brother, who I thought was making a phone call used it to look up **** from **** hub. I now suspect there is some malicious malware on my phone as numerous problems are occurring. For example: - numerous typing glitches e.g. slow to register a letter pressed. Slow to go back. Copying text very difficult, cursor had to move, highlighting text difficult etc ... - Facebook problems: Screen moves off to side regularly; unable to tag or highlight names of friends for tagging; When posting to friends wall that has approved me to, when I type a name in the search box and select it, the screen jitters maddly and jumps erratically until I click out of it. Often preventing me from completing task. - When surfing websites screen scroll function does not let me go down and returns to top.plus other screen glitches. - Many Apps for Windows phones are not available for 8.1 phones. - Some Apps will only load with WiFi access - Like button on Facebook regularly malfunctions. - Share button regularly malfunctions - Long delays on typing keys registering and other function buttons.

I think that if you really want to scan your windows phone, you should connect it to your PC. Then from there, you can scan your phone for malware. Anyway, Microsoft is right. How could a windows phone get a virus?!

If you are being redirected to Facebook, then try to go back. If you press the Facebook link, don't do that. Or you can flag it an ad with your ad-

(if you have one). That is all I know for now.