Series40 phones and VoIP

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

Details

This guide will concentrate on the open SIP standard based VoIP, because S40 does not have Java APIs to build closed system VoIP solutions (such as Skype, Fring, Nimbuzz ...)

Nokia maintains a list of the S40 phones that have built in SIP VoIP capability in the firmware.

Configuring the phone for VoIP usage

There are three different ways how to configure VoIP in use in S40,

• Using the built in setup wizard which can be found from, menu>settings>connectivity>internet tel.
    • The list of VoIP service providers differ based on which country you are located in.
    • If you cannot find your VoIP service provider from the list, but know the SIP details for it, choose "sip settings" from the provider list and fill in the SIP details
    • Some operator branded firmware have crippled setup wizard so that it's empty

• Manual configuration requires following steps,
    1. Download settings example (XML file) compatible to your S40 phone
    2. Download wbxml2 tool
    3. Modify the XML file to suit your needs
    4. Use the xml2wbxml.exe (from wbxml2 tool) to convert the XML file to wbxml format and rename the.wbxml to .prov
    5. Scan and connect your phone over Bluetooth to your PC
    6. Send (OBEX PUSH) the .prov file to the connected phone. 

There exists a free tool for the manual configuration called n0kVoIP which makes the process easier.

Other tips

• Default call type (i.e.. What happens when green button is pressed) can be change in menu>settings>call>call type settings. Setting it to GSM only, will disable VoIP for registering to the service.

• If the phone supports VoIP v72, v81 or v92 then VoIP works only over WiFi. If the phone supports VoIP v104 then VoIP works both over WiFi and 3G. 

• SIP URIs can be added to the contact in phonebook by adding 'internet telephony' detail into it.

Forum Article Info

Last updated March 30, 2019 Views 859 Applies to:
I have Nokia 515 DualSIM S40 phone.
model 515.2
software version 10.34 13-03-14 RM-952

I tried to configure VoIP settings in this way:
Settings -> Connectivity -> Internet tel.

Next I receive info:
You will be guided to Internet telephone setup wizard, where you can easily access settings for Internet telephone feature. Press 'Connect' to start.
-> Connect

Afterwards wizard is searching for page ...n.ext.nokia.com, probably https://serviceactivation.ext.nokia.com/

Connecting to settings wizard

Connecting to settings wizard
-> OK

And then I can set nothing. NOKIA servers were turned off, so I can't connect and configure VoIP application.

I also installed Nokia Suite 3.7.22 on Windows, connected to Nokia 515 phone, so I can upload files to this phone.
Using n0kVoIP software I created configuration .prov file, but when I try to open this file on my Nokia 515, I get info:
File format not supported.

I tried to configure Nimbuzz app too, but they have some problems with servers for a long time, so I can't register account.

Can you tell me how can I configure VoIP account on this phone? Any Java application or something else?

Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry. I didn't know that for Nokia S40 phones - receive config file by bluetooth is different from receive it by USB cable. Now, when I'm sending .prov file created by n0kVoIP - the phone accept VoIP settings properly and built-in VoIP app works fine. Great thanks for n0kVoIP authors! Case solved.

FYI: I logged to Nimbuzz app and checked, but version for S40 phones unfortunately don't support external VoIP configuration.

Welcome back,

I have nokia 515 dual SIM version.

I set up the voip setting correctly. SIM1 card is a 3G internet card, SIM2 card is a card designed for voice calls. No problem connecting to my SIP account. But when connected to a SIP account, the SIM2 card is turned off. To re-activate SIM2 I have to restart my phone.
Does the nokia 515 dual SIM support simultaneous VoIP and traditional voice calls via GSM? If so - how to make SIM2 active when connected to a SIP account?