Nokia 301: short battery life -> H icon always on?

Hi I just got my new Nokia 301, and the battery is not holding out very long. I hardly use the phone, and internet says that the battery life on standby should be like a month (1000+ hours), but in a few days (maybe 2 and a half) it's empty.

Now I notice there is always a [h] icon on my phone, which seems to indicate it's online. But in the settings I made double sure that it is set to 'online only when needed'. 

Is my phone online the whole time and is that what I draining the battery so fast?

Or is that not a problem and is there just something wrong with my phone and/or battery?

Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi BramV,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions! :cathappy:

If you see the 'H' icon, it doesn't necessarily means that the phone isconstantly connected to the Internet since you set it to only use data connection if needed. It means that it's the strongest network available that the phone is able to pick up.

However, if you're experiencing battery issues, you may try troubleshooting the phone. 

1. Restart the phone. Don't forget to remove and replace the battery before restarting.

2. Restore the original settings. Go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings', select 'Restore Factory settings'

and then 'Settings only'. Type your lock code (default is 12345). This will not erase anything on the phone.

3. Update the phone software. Go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings' , select 'Phone' and click on 'Device updates' .

4. Clear the deviceThe steps are the same with restoring the original settings, but choose 'Restore all' instead of 'Settings only'. This will erase all the files in the phone and making a backup is advised.

To make a backup, go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings', and then 'Sync & backup'. Click on 'Create backup' and then hit 'Done'.

You may also try using another compatible charger to further isolate the issue.

Hope this information helps. :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply. 

I restored the factory defaults, but when I tried to update the device software it sais I cannot download updates 'abroad' or in translated dutch "you  cannot download updates when you are in a foreign country'

I also noticed that when I set the dataplan to 'off when roaming' I NEVER have connection, even though I'm in the middle of the netherlands here on my own providers network.

What's going on?

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BramV, which network operator do you use? Some are roaming even at home. Your Nokia is not able to differentiate this. Anyway, ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I have noticed same problem with the short battery life. I think that the problem is related to the MicroSD card. When the card is removed the battery life works fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My provider is Telfort.

I don't have a micro-SD card in my phone actually... so for me that cannot be the problem. IT seems to be holding out now I have turned data-roaming off. It's still at 3 bars after 1 night. But the specs say it can be on standby for over a MONTH, so I'm curious about how long it will hold out.

Still think/hope there is just something wrong with my phone and a new one would fix it...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem seems to be here also. I will return this phone to shop tomorrow.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BramV, did you click on my (blue) link? Telfort and roaming is discussed here …

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the link, so it's a problem with Telfort, they don't have their own network and for some reason they can''t set KPN as their home network.

I'm not sure though if this has to do with battery life. Could it be that it does something different when roaming, compared to when not roaming. Does it keep looking for a home network over and over again or something like that? Becuase now I set roaming off, and I have no connection and the battery is still at 3 lines after a day and a half, seems to hold out longer, not sure how long yet.

However! One big problem: the nokia 301 WILL NOT update firmware when it's not on home network, so I CANNOT update my phone at all when I'm using Telfort?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With a computer, Microsoft Windows, and the Nokia Suite, you are able to upgrade your firmware. There you are able to reinstall your firmware as well, as a last resort.

No, this roaming stuff does not help with your battery issue. However, I already

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The post you refer to is about being online all the time. While that may be an issue, it's not the same problem as always roaming. 

Also there are no downloads for the 301 on the nokia website, only the manual. Also I tried the connectivity driver, but that does not work (it still doesn't recognize the phone and also it doesn't seem to include any real program that I could use to update the phone),

finally, for nokia suite, the list of supported phones does not list the 301. I could try it anyways but probably won't work... and I can't download the beta version for some reason (no access)

So Nokia just decided it was not possible to interact with the 301 on the PC, but released the phone anyway? I really didn't expect all this, I was looking forward to buying the phone for a long time :( this is all very dissapointing...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2020 Views 6,222 Applies to: