And another bad update 950XL

The June update just came down to my phone and installed -- well, appears to have installed. Phone restarts and it gets to the 2nd blue windows logo and the screen goes black. The last two updates required me to remove the MicroSD card in order to continue successfully updating, so I did that and powered back up. No dice. Same situation. The update does not proceed and the phone is now in unusable state. It was fully charged when the update came down. When I plug the phone into power, the screen shows the blue Windows logo and then goes dark again. Plugging it into the PC via USB yields the same result. After a delay, the PC recognizes that the phone is plugged in and shows it as a 950XL, but it is not browsable via Explorer. I've restarted it dozens of times with no change. Very frustrating.
I gave up and am currently running the device recovery tool to restore the phone. And it will then be a major pain to set everything back up.
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security)
After spending hours getting things acceptably configured, but not the way it was, the update was once again downloaded and my phone is currently applying it... Fingers crossed.
^_^

Well, that was 10.0.14393.1066. It rebooted and then proceeded with the data migration, which completed successfully. Apparently the device recovery tool OS version was not the latest.

Upon restarting, it began downloading 10.0.15063.297. A little research determined that this is the May 2017 update. It appears that I'll be crossing my fingers a few more times if the phone now needs to go through a bunch of OS updates...

^_^

10.0.15063.297 updated successfully. Now it is downloading the June 2018 update for 1709 which apparently started this whole mess last night.

EDIT 6/16:  I delayed the update until yesterday afternoon and it completed successfully.

^_^
is the phone working?
Yes. Working fine now.
^_^

Discussion Info

Last updated June 22, 2020 Views 119 Applies to: