When is microsoft going to let us remove Edge?

I'm almost ready to buy a totally different OS.  Microsoft continues to take something that works then <removed> it up.  Just like they did with windows.  Win 7 was the best they ever had and they no longer support it. 
Hi Jim,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you.

I understand if you are having issues with Microsoft Edge. Just to let you know that Microsoft Edge is a newly released browser for Windows 10 so we would really expect some issues with it which I'm sure Microsoft is doing their best to fix it. Microsoft Edge cannot be really removed but you still have options to use other browsers like Internet Explorer 11 or other 3rd-party browsers such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. But may I ask what seems to be your concern with Microsoft Edge? Maybe I can help you out with it.

I hope that you can reply back as quickly as possible so I can help you out further. Have a nice day.

Thanks,
Wilfred P.
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It has messed up Adobe Acrobat.  Files only stay open for 10 seconds,
then disappear.  I had an Adobe tech work on it by remote session for
over an hour before he discovered Edge was causing the problem.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, actually that seems impossible to be honest. Microsoft Edge was installed together with Windows 10 and any updates on it cannot cause any problem with 3rd party software like Adobe Acrobat.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it is a fact, not an impossibility.  It should never have been embedded in the OS, especially since many of us do not want it and it is messed up.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it is a fact, not an impossibility.  It should never have been embedded in the OS, especially since many of us do not want it and it is messed up.

- -

If you don't use Edge, don't intend to use Edge, here are procedures/settings that will keep Edge out of sight, out of mind.

I have not done #7, but I still never see or hear from Edge unless I deliberately open it.

1. Set Internet Explorer or another browser as the default browser.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5507-choose-default-apps-windows-10-a.html

2. Same link as #1. Set Adobe Reader or another program as the default for opening PDF files, instead of Edge.

3. Since Cortana is going to search the web with Edge and Bing, don't search the web with Cortana. Use Internet Explorer or another browser to go to your preferred search page or search from the Address Bar.

4. Or... Edge > Settings > Advanced > Optimize Taskbar web search results for screen readers > turn this on and Cortana will search through Internet Explorer (but will still search with Bing.)

5. Or... How to make Cortana open your default  browser and search engine. (Only if Chrome is the default browser.)

https://www.howtogeek.com/226638/make-the-windows-10-start-menu-and-cortana-search-google-instead-of-bing/

6. Stop Edge from running as a background app

Start> Settings> Privacy> Background apps> turn off Edge.

7. Disable Edge by renaming exe files

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/15999-how-remove-disable-windows-edge-browser.html

Don

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just like macOS and AndroidOS, Windows operating system also has an embedded browser since, without it, you won't be able to browse the internet. If you want to force-uninstall Microsoft Edge on your Windows 10, you may do it on the PowerShell. You may follow the instruction on this link. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/...

Thanks,
Wilfred P.
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2021 Views 146 Applies to: