Unable to sign in to a profile in Edge

In Microsoft Edge (Chromium), I get the error message that Sync is not available for my account.  I believe this to be incorrect, but can't see any avenue to troubleshoot the issue.

Background information:  I'm in the process of migrating to a new Active Directory Domain.  The new domain is Federated with Azure AD using Azure AD Connect.  I have assigned a number of users an "Azure Information Protection Premium P1" license, purchased specifically to enable the synchronisation feature.

I have a machine which was a new-build on the new domain, sign in and sync works as expected.  I can also sign in with Edge on my Android phone, where sync functions as expected.

I have the issue with a laptop which was migrated from the old ADDS Domain to the new one.  It was running both Dev and Beta channels of Chromium Edge (alongside Legacy Edge and IE), and Edge was signed in and synchronising successfully using Azure AD Credentials (with multiple users), even though it was joined to a different AD Domain at the time.  After moving it to the new domain, the machine was very unhappy, many modern apps just wouldn't load (e.g. Microsoft Store, much of the Settings app), I couldn't sign in at all with Edge, and the networking stack was having a lot of issues.  I updated to Windows 10 2004 from 1903 (WSUS on the old domain hadn't been working properly for a while!), but this didn't improve the situation.

I used Settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC to perform a clean install (full wipe of system partition) and have a very smoothly running system now, with the exception of Edge (Stable Version 83.0.478.64).  It does sign in with my Azure AD Account (as does Office, Windows Store, etc), but now reports that Sync is not available for my account.

Having had a clean install, it's joined to the same domain as the working PC, on the same LAN segment, running the same Windows version.  The issue affects any user who is logged onto this laptop.

Can anyone suggest why sync may not be available from this laptop, or how I can troubleshoot this further?

Answer
Answer

So, it turned out the problem was that the trial of "Azure Information Protection Premium P1" had expired - I'd expected to be notified or for it to auto-renew when the trial period expired.

Once I realised, and added the Full license it began working straight away.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2023 Views 577 Applies to: