How to manage saved passwords in Microsoft Edge

Applies to: Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

Introduction

Microsoft Edge allows you to save passwords for sites you use. This makes it easier for you to keep track of all your passwords that you use. Edge allows you to view these passwords and remove them from the list. Allowing you to manage information that is stored. 

This article will show you where these passwords are located, and how to remove passwords you no longer wish to keep. 

Where are your passwords stored

Your passwords are stored on the Microsoft servers (Cloud) under your account. This allows your passwords to be synced across all of your devices once you have signed into the browser on your device. These passwords are then cached onto the local folder for Edge under AppData. Only Edge will be able to read the data in this folder, and on the server.

Locating stored passwords

You can locate stored passwords within Edge itself. You don't need to use any third party program, nor look around in the system files for them. 

Please click onto your profile picture in the top right hand side. 

The profile picture is highlighted in yellow. Next to the feedback option

Once you click onto your profile picture, you will be presented with a list of other profiles you have created on Edge. You will also have the option to create new. Under the profile you are currently signed in with, you will see a link that says "Manage Profile Settings"

Manage Profile Settings is highlighted in the black box

You will need to click onto the link, which will open a new tab for settings.

From the list of options, you can select what setting you wish to view. Passwords is highlighted with the black box. when you select passwords, you will be able to view all of the passwords saved to that profile. 

Saved passwords on your account. 

Alternatively, you can visit your passwords using this link: edge://settings/passwords 

Viewing and/or deleting stored passwords

You can choose to view your saved passwords by clicking onto the eye icon next to the password.

This icon will trigger a security challenge on your device (Either entering your password/pin, or facial recognition. This is to make sure it is actually you who is wanting to view the saved password. After you have done this, you will be able to see the password instead of those black dots.

To remove the saved password, you will need to click onto the ellipsis icon

This will present you with a menu. From this menu, you can select delete. This will delete the stored entry from the list. So once you visit the website again, you will need to enter your username and password again.

Updating your passwords stored on Edge

Edge allows you to update your password when you have changed it. To do this, please go to the site you have changed your password for. You will need to remove the password already inserted in the password field (This would have been entered automatically by Edge).

Once you have done this, please type your new password and press enter. As soon as you do this, Edge will present a pop up window as seen in the image underneath:

Click onto "Update" and your new password will be saved, removing the previous password you had previously.

If you have any suggestions for this article, please comment them underneath in the comments section. If you would like help with Microsoft Edge, please ask a question and the community can try and help you. 

Related Articles

Updating the Microsoft Edge browser | How to import data from other browsers on Microsoft Edge | Adding User Accounts in Microsoft Edge

You can follow me on Twitter: @SunkNath

Article information:

13/07/20 - Article updated to reflect where passwords are stored

15/07/20 - Article updated to reflect how to update passwords to new passwords

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you. I installed the new Edge browser (late March release) and noticed Microsoft had a lot of my passwords already stored. It wasn't clear if that was imported from Chrome or pulled from the Microsoft cloud. When I installed the new Edge browser on a second computer, the saved passwords once again appeared -- including passwords I had removed from the other/original Edge browser.

Question:

Where are my passwords ultimately stored? And how do I access the source so I can permanently remove them?

55 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

the option delete does not appear when you follow these steps, the password appears which is incorrect and one reason I want to delete it but the username is incorrect too. a loosing battle

5 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It's so lame that problems aren't problems til they're voted up. What genius came up with that one?

Edge lets you delete passwords. If I have to change the password for a site (that happens!) I have no way to update the stored password, only delete it.

8 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes David!  I was looking for an answer to this as well.

5 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess we need to keep upvoting, because it's not a problem unless it gets votes.

Or switch to Firefox.

6 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

@Nathan: can you answer my question?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, BrianHemesath

Welcome to the Microsoft Community forums. 

Sorry I have missed your comments.

When they are imported, they are placed in the Edge folder here:  C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default 

They are in a database file which you will not be able to open, as only the Edge browser can access this file.

However, in terms of if this is stored on the cloud somewhere, I have had a look and can not seem to find anything about where these passwords are stored. I suspect it is storing these passwords onto your Microsoft Account somewhere, which is syncing them with the local folder for Edge on your computers. However, when you remove them within the Edge, they should, as I believe, be deleted permanently from the account. So you should not see them reappear once they have been removed.

Did you remove the saved passwords within the new Edge Chromium?

I have asked this question to someone from the Edge team.

Regards, 

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

4 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I'll have a look

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! Recently, I removed passwords from one device/PC and the changes (removals) reflected on a different, sync'd, device/PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! Recently, I removed passwords from one device/PC and the changes (removals) reflected on a different, sync'd, device/PC.

Hey there, BrianHemesath

That is what should happen, as it should sync with the location these are stored online. 

With regards to where these are stored, and if your able to access them, I am just awaiting a response by the person who is responsible for the Sync part of Edge. 

Regards, 

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated January 24, 2021 Views 25,210 Applies to:

Related Forums