MS Edge tile on Start Menu screen

I have the MS Edge installed on a desktop PC, and a laptop, both running the latest Windows 10 Home 64 bit 

On both machines, the tile on the "All apps" screen is OK, but on the "Pinned tiles" screen the tile is just a dark blue square with MS Edge label, but no icon (picture).

Is this a bug in the latest update?   If not, what to do to fix it, please?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to see the Edge icon on the Start Menu tiles instead of blue solid color with Edge written on it.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to right click on the Edge tile and select Unpin from Start > click on Start Menu > Then scroll down on the left side and right click on Microsoft Edge > Select Pin to Start.

If you still face the issue, then perform these steps.

1. Copy Edge shortcut

2. Open File Explorer.

3. Navigate to this location: C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

4. Paste the Edge shortcut in the above location.

If the issue persists, then repair start menu by performing these steps.

1. Press Windows + X key and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)

2. Copy and paste this command, and then press Enter: Get-AppXPackage -User ([System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent().Name) *ShellExperienceHost* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

3. Once the process complete, restart the PC and check

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy
Microsoft Community – Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Adytia,

I did not try fiddling with powershell, as I wanted to make Win10 to behave correctly as it is, without trying to tweak it.

However what I found - and what it seems fixed the problem - is interesting -

I use separate pages for "All Apps" and for "Pinned Tiles".

I had all shortcuts for the Start menu in the ProgramData folder. Everything worked fine except for the Edge tile, which had the icon missing.

When I put the Edge shortcut in the Start Menu folder under my user name, it works correctly - the icon is showing in the pinned tile.

So there is difference between having the shortcuts under the user name, and having them for everybody under the ProgramData.

One of the many Windows mysteries.

So I copied all shortcuts into the Start Menu folder under my user name, and hope that will behave.

cheers

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Josef,

Thank you for your response.

Seems that the edge icon is back in Start menu tiles, after copying the Edge shortcut in the Start Menu folder.

We would like to know if you have other user account on the PC and what is the status of the Edge icon on Start menu tiles, after copying all the shortcuts into the Start Menu folder.

Regards,

Aditya Roy
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have two accounts - Josef, and Administrator. It is the "super" administrator, because the normal Administrator is a bad joke.

As I said in the previous post, I only populated the Start Menu folder which resides in ProgramData. The Start Menu folder in Josef was empty.

Then, somehow, the Edge icon appeared in the pinned tile, and I found out that the Edge shortcut was in the Start Menu under Josef.

So, I thought, maybe I should not use the ProgramData Start Menu folder, and I moved all shortcuts to the Start Menu folder under Josef.

That seemed to work fine for a while, but after a few restarts the Start page with the pinned tiles was all messed up, with groups of tiles overlapping other groups. The All Apps page is not affected.

I have lots of groups and tiles, and the top row of groups is shifted downwards and overlaps the row below.

I will remove the super-administrator account to see if that helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just want you to know that was the most concise, easy to follow set of directions to recover the New Microsoft Edge Icon for Start Menu, Task Bar, and Desktop.  Thank you so much bc right I feel like stabbing my eyes out with hot pokers.....lol  I definitely needed that simplicity today.

Thank you 

Brittany 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2022 Views 1,784 Applies to: