how to reinstall legacy version of Edge?

despise new version of Edge. how to remove and revert to legacy version?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, nashleach,

Try using Edge Canary version. It seems to work better than the released version.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

You can uninstall Microsoft Edge by going to Settings > Apps

Scroll down the list

Click on Microsoft Edge > Select Uninstall

Or, Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall Programs 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This new Edge gives you no choices for uninstalling. You are not allowed to access to disable it. It loaded without my permission and it won't sync properly with my passwords or other apps I use regularly. The previous "legacy" version worked fine. I would like to rid my computer of this piece of **** but nothing seems to work. 

I need usable suggestions not more idiotic downloads that don't work. Help!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded the latest version, but, it didn't install

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your directions don't work as the Uninstall button is grayed out in the Apps.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem, I hate the new Edge Chromium , it is a worthless piece of ****! I loved the Edge Legacy, I never had an issue with it. I called Microsoft and they reinstalled the Edge Legacy and removed the new Chromium version, that lasted about 4 weeks and during the Microsoft update they put the new one back up and removed the Legacy version again. I don't like them having control over my PC and not having a choice in the matter. I AM NOW USING MOZILLA FIREFOX  Unless I can get the Legacy version back! 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you may not be able to uninstall Edge Chromium If you received it from Windows Update but you can run both Edge Chromium Stable and Edge Legacy side by side. You Must be running Chromium Stable. See here: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance please post and we will be glad to assist you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I installed the latest update just now, the new Edge came along with it. I tried to bypass by shutting down Edge through the task manager, as I was able to do once before, but it was too late. The new Edge grabbed all my passwords, history, etc. from Chrome, without my permission, and replaced the ones that were on the old Edge. I found the .exe file as discussed here, but it didn't bring back the old settings.

There's no longer an option to uninstall Edge via Apps in Settings or Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. And I don't want the old Edge back, or to run new and old side by side. I just want the work back I did this weekend, in the form of the history and open tabs that were on Edge tonight before this happened. I don't have much hope for that. I use Edge in a very limited capacity, and I'll switch to another browser to do that work, and stick to Chrome for regular browsing as I have for some time. And I'll redo my weekend's work again. So I guess I'm just blowing off steam here. 

I do wonder if System Restore might work, although I think that's a legacy of Win 2007..... Or the entire update does appear to be in Add or Remove programs. I could try uninstalling that, but I don't want to break anything. It's the Edge issue that's the problem.

Microsoft never ceases to think it knows what I want better than I do. Last time it was One Drive, and It took me forever to disable that to the point where it didn't interfere with my own system of storing my files that was already in place, and get that system working again. I don't want my files on your servers!!!!

Why does Microsoft think forcing me to using their products is a good idea? And why don't they realize that some of us already have systems in place that we'd rather not have wiped out without warning? And that some of us want to preserve at least the illusion of privacy?

Thanks.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstall is greyed out. Unable to uninstall!!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but that is because Edge Chromium Installed from Windows Update can't be uninstalled. As stated above in my other post you have other options.

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance please post and we will be glad to assist you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank You for getting back to me Richard, however seeing cromium is unable to be severed from edge where would I be able to find an older version of microsoft browser that I would be able to use instead ? I'm not too fond of being forced to use a product I don't trust  due to the fact it's intrusive and manipulative that any 4th grader who had the knowledge to use programs such as (Visual studio) for instances to breach or hack into any device. Not really into all in one apps, too much that can go wrong with them. Perfectly  fine with using Lite versions of singular apps that I can pair up go back and tweak them myself. Have any ideas??
F.T.A.H.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2021 Views 4,498 Applies to:

Related Forum