How to make visited links change color in Edge

Hello,

I am using using Edge version 83.0.478.50 some settings are controlled by my organization.  That being said I know this is not the reason Edge won't change the color of links I've visited.

If I go through a link in Internet Explorer, then find the same link in Edge the link will be colored indicating I have visited it.  If I go through ANY link in Edge neither Edge nor IE shows that I have clicked on that link.

For a brief second before Edge changes to the new page the link does change color, but it is not stored anywhere.  If I open up a new tab and go to the same link it will not show that I have clicked on it, even though I have another tab with that link opened.  Edge does not remember.

I have seen people asking this question for years.  Is there no setting in Edge to allow it to remember links I've visited?  Don't tell me to clear Edge's cache, lets assume I have cleared the stupid cache of everything already.  Is there an extension required to install into Edge to provide this functionality?  I am done wading though the internet blind, I find that I constantly ask myself, have I been though that link before?  What about that one? 

If Edge can't remember what links I've been though its like Microsoft took a 20year step back with this browser.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello my name is Adam and I am a Microsoft user like you and an Independent Advisor. I am very happy to help you with your problem.

-Absolute,

Usually link reactivity is controlled by the website developer, not the browser. However, the browser does interpret the code. Internet Explorer being an older browser may not interpret the website "correctly" (at least not how the author intended). And therefore ignores the code that tells it not to change link color. In edge however it interprets the code correctly and prevents the links from changing color.

Now, if they do change color when pressed but the browser is not remembering what links you visited when you re-open it this is an option:

From Sanddeep:

"Open Edge browser.

Click on the ellipses"..." on the top right corner.

Click on Settings and then click on "Privacy and Security".

Under the description "Clear Browsing data" click on "Choose what to clear".

Uncheck all the options.

Turn off the option "Always clear this when I close the browser".

Re-open the Edge browser and try opening few websites using the search engine and see if the color of the hyperlinks change.

Reply back with the information and the status of your issue, so that we can help you further.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator"

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I made sure that no options were selected on "what to clear" then went to "choose what to clear every time you close the browser" and this is what was everything was already set to.

I closed Edge went through several links, opening up new tabs and Edge did not remember where I had visited.  I closed Edge and went back to those links, it still did not remember where I have been.

any other thoughts?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-Absolute,

I'm pretty sure this is going to be caused by the website itself. As this is usually specified using CSS and HTML. However, maybe one of the other IAs has an Idea.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wilkie,

Do you think that its the website that is having the issue when I have NEVER had Edge remember a link, EVER.  And if I open up Internet Explorer it remembers every link, and Edge will remember every link that IE does?

This seems like Edge is the culprit, not every website online.  I would like to use Edge, but it feels like I am driving blind with Edge.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Absolute,

I was misunderstood I thought it was one specific website. I was hoping another IA would have some more insight. I kept researching and found the following article.

I hope this helps:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/114860-enab...

I will keep searching in case it does not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe this solution would accomplish what you want.
https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/105712...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi -Absolute Zero-, 

Are you still seeing this issue with the latest version of Microsoft Edge? I know this thread was posted quite a while ago but I would love to try and get you back to being able to use the browser the way you want to! If you are still seeing this (or should I say not seeing it change) could you try visiting a link and then check your browser history to see if the link you've just visited is recorded there? 

The combination of links opened in IE registering as previously opened in Edge but the opposite not occurring has me wondering if this is history related (I saw your settings and know that's not the issue!)

Thanks, 

-Alex

Alex (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for looking into this, and you may be on to something.  The issue is still persisting and looking at my browsing history, its empty.  I have looked though some of the settings for Edge and I don't see where I would have chosen for it to not remember any site I've been to.  What settings are you thinking I need to look into?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for responding!

This sounds like it might be a really specific browser policy setting that may have been set by your organization. I know you mentioned it's unlikely to be your organization but I definitely want to check that first as it matches the behavior. 

This link describes the SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled setting: Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Docs

Could you check the policies set in edge://policy/ to see if SavingBrowserHistoryDisabled is set by your organization?

If it's not that, I still think we're on the right track with History but we may still need to dig in further =)

-Alex

Alex (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 4,813 Applies to: