“This page is having a problem” error when trying to access any website in the new Microsoft Edge

I’ve installed the new Microsoft Edge, and now both Microsoft Edge and Chrome are not able to access any websites.  I’ve confirmed I have internet access, however browsing to any website will result in a “This page is having a problem” error.
Answer
Answer

Microsoft has confirmed that devices with outdated versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) installed can cause Microsoft Edge (and Chrome) to be unable to access websites and Edge-specific local sites, such as edge://settings.

This issue occurs because the new Microsoft Edge enables Microsoft’s Code Integrity feature. Older versions of SEP Application Control technology (in SEP versions 14.0.3929.1200 and earlier) are incompatible with this feature in Chromium.

To avoid issues, please update Symantec Endpoint Protection to versions 14.2 or later.  Click here to download the latest version of Symantec’s software.

If you are unable to install the latest version of SEP, advanced users can also work around this issue by disabling the Code Integrity group policy within the registry.  (Warning:  Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it so that you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.)

To disable the Code Integrity feature in the registry, set the following registry key:

Key: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

Name: RendererCodeIntegrityEnabled

Type: DWORD (32-bit)

Value: 0

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2021 Views 17,310 Applies to:

Related Forums