Microsoft Edge (Not Responding)

Question
5888 Views | Last updated September 17, 2021

Hi there. im running the latest version of Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge version 89.0.774.57 (official build) (64-bit)

When i open my browser and go to use either my favorites bar drop down for my links or i go to my favorites and try to browse the folders to get to a certain link, the browser will freeze, in the address bar says (Not Responding) sometimes the screen will turn white and other times it will ask me to "close program or wait until program responds)

I have had Microsoft Tech try to fix as well as Geek Squad the issue will go away and things will work fine, but it always seems to revert back to the same issue!!

Please help.

|

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Seems that you are having difficulties in Edge browser. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)

• Do you have any extension enabled in Edge?

• Does this issue occur on Edge in-private window?

• Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check

Step 1: Clear Cache.

Your browser automatically saves temporary Internet files to help pages load faster. Clearing this cache will sometimes fix page display problems.

Open Microsoft Edge and click on the (…) dots > select History > Clear Browsing data > check the box beside and Cached image and files, Browsing history, Cookies and other site data > then select Clear now.

Step 2: Reset Edge

1. Open Microsoft Edge

2. Click on the three dots (…) from the right top corner.

3. Select Settings from the drop down and click on Reset settings from the left pane.

4. Select Restore settings to their default values.

5. Relaunch Edge and check

Disclaimer: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

8 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Aditya, thank you for the help. I have done everything you suggested and the problem still persists. 

here are the answers to your questions.

1. Ver Win 10- V20H2 (OS Build 19042.870)

2. Extensions- Cisco Web X Extension (for Doctor web visits) and Webroot Web Threat Shield and this is locked

3. I have no idea about in-private window or where to find it. (i looked) but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

4. i dont know of any PC changes, i just this issue just started on day, dont know why or how to fix it.

Thanks, Ron

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would like you to disable the extension and check.

If you are still facing the issue, then we would suggest you to create a new user account with administrative rights and check if the issue persists. Creating a new user account will not remove any data, app or settings from your current user account, this is just a troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility of user profile corruption. Refer this article to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Aditya.

i had a Microsoft Tech Agent on the phone the other day and he found the problem. When Microsoft Edge was loaded into my PC something happened to the download. He tried to uninstall and re-install it and found that there was no way to delete it. If im correct, he then tried to in the Command Prompt tried to install a different (older version) of Windows 10 to work around it nd maybe install Edge  that way. He then came across an issue where he was unable to select two of three options to move forward because my BIOS needed updating. I hope that made sense to you, i dont know much about this. I contacted HP and was floored aby the lack of help they were willing to extend me. My entire family own 3 desktops, and printers, 2 laptops and have owned others in the past, we have been loyal customers of HP for almost 2 decades and they would not help me with a simple BISO update without starting a whole new warranty program, and right now they way things are im just able to do it. So im stuck dealing with the problem. I know one thing, i will never own nor will i ever tell anyone to by HP ever again. I however want to say thank you again for your efforts, unless you can help with my BISO update I gotta deal with it. Take care and stay safe.

Thanks, Ron

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

It's the browser, Edge, after this latest update and some program that got installed today, 6/13/21, called Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime. That's when Edge stopped responding. You so called experts don't know what you are talking about- it isn't the cache. I'm using Firefox right now and it works fine. The problem is on your end. Some idiot programmer in the latest Windows 10 update or that Runtime program that got installed today screwed up. Microsoft gave this away for free, there's now at least an update per month and a preview and something always goes wrong because it's FREE so Microsoft doesn't assign their best people to Windows 10- they make no money from it.

9 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah i still have the issue, and for as many times as i was one the phone with them about it you would think they would make the fix and put in with the new updates. its so frustrating i use those dropdowns 3/4 of the time im on my PC. i just hope one day the fix will magickly fix it one night in my sleep. thanks for the reply, at least now i know its not me or my PC!!!

Thanks, Ron

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft edge is the biggest load of **** ever, bring back windows

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.