Restore pages: Microsoft Edge closed unexpectedly: Restore. IT KEEPS CRASHING

This started happening after I did a system restore. All of the updates from Security & Updates have been applied. edge://settings/system recommendations, etc. on this type of crashing behavior were applied. I even changed the start preferences to a new tab (versus saving these tabs that were open upon closing).

|

Hello AlexKidaloski,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

I understand that you are afraid that Edge is always turned off unexpectedly. I understand how you feel. Let's work together to solve this problem.

The usual possible reasons for edg unexpected shutdown include edge expired data interference, edge file corruption, system file corruption, third-party application interference, etc. Please understand that we may need some attempts to narrow down the scope of the problem.

I understand that you have encountered this problem after restoring the operation of the system, comprehensive analysis, you can now try the following solutions in order:

1. Reset edge

In Windows search box input "set" -- application in function -- find edge -- advanced options -- reset -- restart your browser

2. If the above methods do not apply to you, you can directly Download the EDGE browser on the official platform, the installation process will overwrite your previous Edge, the link is as follows: Download Microsoft Edge

3. Safe mode

I suggest you go into Safe mode to see if the system itself has a problem. We can use this to isolate the problem as Safe Mode enables a minimal number of additional services or apps to rule out issues caused by personalized settings and third-party apps.

Visit Start your PC in safe mode in Windows (microsoft.com) to view the specific steps. Please follow these in order and report back what you discover.

4. Disconnect the network and check whether the Edge blinks back

5. Check system files: Sometimes corrupt system files can cause the problem, you can try running system file checker (sfc /scannow) to fix possible corruption. Please refer to this document link for details:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

I hope this answers your question. Thank you again for your patience and cooperation, your support and understanding are highly appreciated.

Perhaps the above solution can not complete the operation of fixing the error, but it can narrow the scope of the problem, so please tell me the progress of the problem, and please feel free to reply if you have other supplementary information. Looking forward to your reply

Best Regarts ,

Morning | Microsoft Technical Support Community 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue and am struggling with what you mean with #1.

1. Reset edge

In Windows search box input "set" -- application in function -- find edge -- advanced options -- reset -- restart your browser

is this what you mean:

1. Open Microsoft Edge, click the More icon (three dots) in the upper right corner, and select Settings.

2. Click Reset settings.

3. Click the > icon next to Restore settings to their default values, and then click Reset when prompted.

I spent the entire day performing the recommended 1-5 with no success, it still crashes....

Wonder why I use Chrome? which I hate..... it doesn't crash....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue on Windows 11 and have tried following the steps to no avail. Can you help as this is my work computer and I cannot do any work!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried most methods here and they never worked. If edge keeps crashing, how do you even get to settings? I saw this youtube video that allowed me to convert the directory of the existing edge before installing edge afresh. See the link below

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 2,253 Applies to: