PDF form's Action buttons in Microsoft Edge not funtioning

We have some PDF forms created in both Adobe LiveCycle and Acrobat Pro 2017. Each form has 3 buttons built into them. A clear form, Submit form and Print form.

The clear form button action works, but the other 2 do nothing when clicked on when using Microsoft Edge.

We have tried Private windows in Edge and also on a computer not on our work network to see if maybe it was one of the GPs set for edge on our domain. It doesn't matter in what Edge we run it in, they do nothing.

Is there something in edge that is preventing the button from running and is it something that we can change in a setting somewhere?

Thanks

Try update to the latest version of Microsoft Edge and try opening the PDF file and see if problem persist?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same issue and found that since Microsoft edge does not accept external plugins (In this case, Adobe Acrobat and its programs) the Action buttons will not work. This is because when in the editable PDF mode in Acrobat Pro or Lifecycle, when in properties for the action button, it has to command FILE>PRINT or any other "file" extension such as "save as."

However, edge does not support a "file" on the command ribbon. Due to this, the Print button would not work, nor the submit button.

Unfortunately again, I have not found that edge will open any PDFs directly to Adobe Acrobat and instead only will allow it to open within Edge. The Reset/Clear Form most likely still works because that is built directly into the PDF through Adobe and does not rely on a "file" command like the other 2 do. 

I am not sure why the Edge developers did not think to be able to have PDFs open directly in Adobe, but if you are accessing it via hyperlink on Edge, it will not go to the Adobe Program but instead stay in Edge. I have not found a way after diving deep into settings how to change direct hyperlinks or links to PDFs in general from Edge to open within Adobe, but at the moment, it seems the other buttons will not work and you will have to instead use Edge's Print and Save buttons (typically on the top right hand of the browser from what I've seen) 

Hopefully this helps, but it seems as of now the answer is that it can't be fixed until Edge developers possibly change their software.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 3,344 Applies to: