Not getting notifications for new email from Gmail in edge browser

Hello,

I had been getting notifications for emails from gmail in edge browser,but it has stopped since last 3 days.

This is a deal breaker for me as I need to be aware of the email alerts as they come.

Please help to solve this issue.

Thanks.

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William, I’m an Independent Advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

You have a few options you can try out:

Start > Settings > System > Notifications & actions > on the right side, scroll down to Microsoft Edge and confirm Banners, Sounds is enabled.

In Edge itself, go the Settings menu (three dots) in the upper-right > select Cookies and site permissions > Notifications.

There is also a setting in gmail itself with respect to email notifications. See here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1075549?...

If none of those work, consider resetting Edge. To do this, go to Settings > on the left side, select Reset settings.

Finally, if you are using an extension to advertise new messages, make sure it is enabled or reinstall it. You can configure extensions by going to the three dots in the upper-right and selecting Extensions. If you need to install a notification extension for gmail, here is an example: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/deta...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi William ,Thanks for the reply.

I checked the settings and they are fine as this worked earlier.

I will give reset edge a try ,after observing the issue a bit more.

I can see that chrome is giving me the notifications .

Wonder what might be wrong.

Thanks.

I shall update shortly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Posting an update.

I was working with microsoft support yesterday to get this fixed.

Unfortunately, despite a couple of attempts from them ,the issue still persists and in fact is sporadic in nature.

I dont know if this is due to the edge update I did or something else.

But,this being a deal breaker has forced me to switch back to chrome.

I hope Edge team can come up with a fix for this.

Thanks,

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally gave up the fight and went back to Chrome.  I tried everything.  It actually worked once and then stopped again.  I was perfectly happy with Edge but for this.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I'm Steve, an engineer on the Microsoft Edge team.  I'm very sorry to hear about gmail notification issues.  Unfortunately, the Edge team cannot reproduce this problem.  Could you please provide some additional information to help the Edge team investigate this issue?

1) What version of Edge are you running?  You can find this by navigating to edge://support/version.

2) Does mail.google.com have permission to show notifications?  You can check this by navigating to edge://settings/content/notifications.

3) Have you enabled notifications in gmail settings?  To do this, navigate to https://mail.google.com/mail/, login, click the gear in the top right and then click "See all settings".  Find the "Desktop notifications" section halfway through the settings and then enable desktop notifications.

4) Do you leave a gmail running in a tab?  In order to receive new mail and notifications, you must leave gmail open running in a browser tab.

5) Can other sites show notifications?  Could you please try the following demo site?

Notification Examples - Base Site (gauntface.com)

To show a test notification, please enable notifications on the site and then click the "example notification" button.

6) Are you running Edge on Windows 10?  If so, is Edge allowed to show notifications in Win10 settings?  To check this, please launch the Windows 10 settings app, go to "System" and then "Notifications & Actions".  Make sure notifications are "On" for Microsoft Edge.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You also need to make sure that in your gmail settings, you have notifications enabled

(this is turned off by default)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve,

This is quite a frustrating experience for a lot of us at our organization. We have moved away from the desktop version of Outlook and started to use Microsoft Edge and outlook.com as a PWA. Initially notifications worked for approximately 4-5 days, and then they just stopped. Nothing changed on our end in regards to software upgrades, etc. Of course, we then tried to toggle the show notification switches off, both in Edge (Chromium) and Windows 10 settings, and they once again started to work. However, after a few days they simply stopped notifying us for not only mail but calendar events, too.

What has become even more frustrating is that a number of us use outlook.com or Microsoft 365 Exchange as Progressive Web Apps (PWA). Therefore, at any given time one of us may have installed, using Edge (latest build), several PWAs linked to various Microsoft hosted e-mail accounts, both 365 and outlook.com as mentioned previously.

This setup works seamlessly in theory, but again after a few days not only do notifications stop showing on Windows 10 desktop (latest build), but our PWA's seem to get confused about which system they are signed into. For example, I created a PWA using Edge for an outlook.com account and 2 more PWA's for two separate Microsoft 365 (small business) Exchange e-mail accounts, both of the same domain, but with different user names. What becomes increasingly frustrating is that I can open the PWA for outlook.com and sometimes if will load my Microsoft 365 (small business) email account. Additionally, I can then load one of the other Microsoft 365 email accounts and it will load the other Microsoft 365 email account. I suppose there is a federation issue, but this is only conjecture because no one on your support staff can help me.

In closing, I think Microsoft execution is just not good enough. I feel like products are promoted before they are ready, launched not even close to being properly tested, and then left with a lot to be desired. We are really struggling to solve this issue because notifications are critical for us, but Edge and Windows 10 are simply not working together. We are actively seeking a different platform all together at this point. I really wish Microsoft would hire a quality testing team, because all of these problems lead to lost productivity and are quite frustrating!

Michael

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I'm Steve, an engineer on the Microsoft Edge team.  I'm very sorry to hear about gmail notification issues.  Unfortunately, the Edge team cannot reproduce this problem.  Could you please provide some additional information to help the Edge team investigate this issue?

1) What version of Edge are you running?  You can find this by navigating to edge://support/version.

2) Does mail.google.com have permission to show notifications?  You can check this by navigating to edge://settings/content/notifications.

3) Have you enabled notifications in gmail settings?  To do this, navigate to https://mail.google.com/mail/, login, click the gear in the top right and then click "See all settings".  Find the "Desktop notifications" section halfway through the settings and then enable desktop notifications.

4) Do you leave a gmail running in a tab?  In order to receive new mail and notifications, you must leave gmail open running in a browser tab.

5) Can other sites show notifications?  Could you please try the following demo site?

Notification Examples - Base Site (gauntface.com)

To show a test notification, please enable notifications on the site and then click the "example notification" button.

6) Are you running Edge on Windows 10?  If so, is Edge allowed to show notifications in Win10 settings?  To check this, please launch the Windows 10 settings app, go to "System" and then "Notifications & Actions".  Make sure notifications are "On" for Microsoft Edge.

Hi Steve,

Same thing as people here happened to me. It worked for a few days (in March on a new Win 10 install) now it's not working anymore and all settings you mentioned are as they should.

Anything new on your end? 

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm Jungkee, a PM on the Microsoft Edge team. I'm very sorry to hear about this issue and the inconvenience you have had.

We have been doing more tests on the scenario on both Edge and Chrome. Our finding is that when we leave the Gmail tab on Edge or Chrome open and inactive for some random amount of time, it gets to a state where it does not show notifications for new emails. It sometimes happens when leaving the tab and browser inactive for as short as 15 minutes and sometimes it happens with a few hours of inactivity.

We have filed a bug to Chromium project to collaborate with the Chrome team and the Chromium community to further investigate this issue: https://crbug.com/1202346.

We'll keep you posted when we have updates.

Thank you,

Jungkee Song

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2024 Views 6,436 Applies to: