New Microsoft Edge Update keeps crashing

Question
6496 Views | Last updated July 25, 2021

Recently I had to reinstall Win10 Pro.

Before this the new Microsoft Edge worked fine for months, after downloading it from a link in a computer magazine and installing it. (Lost that one )

Now, after getting prompts to get the new Microsoft Edge and installing the update, Edge crashes shortly after starting.

When I click on Microsoft Edge “Modify” nothing happens.

Microsoft Edge Update “Modify or Uninstall” are greyed out.

I had to uninstall Microsoft Edge and then reinstall it in order to stop it crashing.

When reinstalling the Edge update, the same happens.

I appreciate any help, as I much prefer the new Edge.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are having difficulties in Edge browser. As we can see that the PC is installed with the latest version of Edge Chromium. We would like to know if Edge crashes in In-Private Mode (Press Ctrl+Shift+N key), and are there any error messages you receive?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: Clear browsing history and cached data

Your browser automatically saves temporary Internet files to help pages load faster. Clearing this cache will sometimes fix page display problems.

Open Microsoft Edge, select History > Clear history. Select Browsing history and Cached data and files, and then select Clear.

Method 2: Clear all browsing data

Open Microsoft Edge, select  History > Clear history. Select all boxes, and then select Clear.

Method 3: Reset Edge

1. Open Microsoft Edge

2. Click on the three dots (…) from the right top corner.

3. Select Settings from the drop down and click on Reset settingsfrom the left pane.

4. Select Restore settings to their default values.

5. Relaunch Edge and check

Disclaimer: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

You may also refer this article as an additional information: What to do if Microsoft Edge isn't working  

Regards,

Aditya Roy
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and help.

Do you want me to reinstall the Edge Update before performing the above methods?

Without the update Edge is running fine.

Ria

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are having difficulties in Edge browser. As we can see that the PC is installed with the latest version of Edge Chromium. We would like to know if Edge crashes in In-Private Mode (Press Ctrl+Shift+N key), and are there any error messages you receive?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: Clear browsing history and cached data

Your browser automatically saves temporary Internet files to help pages load faster. Clearing this cache will sometimes fix page display problems.

Open Microsoft Edge, select History > Clear history. Select Browsing history and Cached data and files, and then select Clear.

Method 2: Clear all browsing data

Open Microsoft Edge, select  History > Clear history. Select all boxes, and then select Clear.

Method 3: Reset Edge

1. Open Microsoft Edge

2. Click on the three dots (…) from the right top corner.

3. Select Settings from the drop down and click on Reset settingsfrom the left pane.

4. Select Restore settings to their default values.

5. Relaunch Edge and check

Disclaimer: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

You may also refer this article as an additional information: What to do if Microsoft Edge isn't working  

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Hello,

Do you want me to reinstall the Edge Update before performing the above methods?

Without the update Edge is running fine.

Ria

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ria,

Thank you for your response.

Please perform the above steps and check, if the issue persists then we can reinstall. Also check if Edge crashes in In-Private Mode (Press Ctrl+Shift+N key).

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try to reset Microsoft Edge. For that, in the address bar visit: edge://settings/resetProfileSettings

In the dialog box, click on the Reset button. Wait for a few seconds.

Reboot your computer and check if this fixes the issue.

Also, I would like to know, if you have pinned Microsoft Edge in the taskbar if ye Unpin from the taskbar and repin and launch.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ria,

Thank you for your response.

Please perform the above steps and check, if the issue persists then we can reinstall. Also check if Edge crashes in In-Private Mode (Press Ctrl+Shift+N key).

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Edge is working perfectly without the Update installed.

As I currently don’t have the Update installed, do you want me to reinstall it first before performing the above methods?

Thanks

Ria

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try to reset Microsoft Edge. For that, in the address bar visit: edge://settings/resetProfileSettings

In the dialog box, click on the Reset button. Wait for a few seconds.

Reboot your computer and check if this fixes the issue.

Also, I would like to know, if you have pinned Microsoft Edge in the taskbar if ye Unpin from the taskbar and repin and launch.

Edge is working perfectly without the Update installed.

As I currently don’t have the Update installed, do you want me to reinstall it first before performing the above methods?

Thanks

Ria

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced a similar problem where Edge crashed the moment I clicked in the address bar.

Clearing cache and resetting settings did not work.

I changed my search engine from Bing to Google and the problem went away.

From https://www.askvg.com/fix-microsoft-edge-crashing-when-typing-in-address-bar-or-search-box/ :

1. Open Microsoft Edge browser and click on the 3-dots menu button present at the right-side of the toolbar. Now select Settings option from the main menu.

Alternatively, you can press ALT+F keys together to show Edge Menu and then press S key to open Settings page.

2. Now go to Privacy and services tab and in right-side pane, scroll down to bottom.

3. Under Services section, click on Address bar option.

4. Now select Bing (Recommended) option from the drop-down box given next to “Search engine used in the address bar” option. In my case Bing was already selected so I changed to Google and the problem was solved.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your explanation is all fine and dandy except when I start my computer I get nothing but a black screen now this computer was completely bare bones one week ago with a new C Dr. and I need a new operating system which is in a computer I paid $1500 for. Quite frankly I’m so pissed off I can’t see straight I clicked on a link the computer went Black and shut down. When I restarted it I get nothing but a black screen it will not even boot all after your edge update which quite frankly I’d like to use some choice words but unfortunately my temper would get me in a lot of trouble I just put the additional $300 in this to bring it back to bare bones after having problems only to have edge create new problems

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced a similar problem where Edge crashed the moment I clicked in the address bar.

Clearing cache and resetting settings did not work.

I changed my search engine from Bing to Google and the problem went away.

From https://www.askvg.com/fix-microsoft-edge-crashing-when-typing-in-address-bar-or-search-box/ :

1. Open Microsoft Edge browser and click on the 3-dots menu button present at the right-side of the toolbar. Now select Settings option from the main menu.

Alternatively, you can press ALT+F keys together to show Edge Menu and then press S key to open Settings page.

2. Now go to Privacy and services tab and in right-side pane, scroll down to bottom.

3. Under Services section, click on Address bar option.

4. Now select Bing (Recommended) option from the drop-down box given next to “Search engine used in the address bar” option. In my case Bing was already selected so I changed to Google and the problem was solved.

Thank you so much for this info - it appears to solve my problem. Would rather have Google than Bing anyway. Thank you so much. Wish there was a way to publicize this fix!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Related Forum