(New Ad Campaign) Microsoft manipulates the user to turn on Search telemetry in Edge

Microsoft is continuing its Recommended browser settings campaign. It is now being sociopathic by tricking the user to enable Search telemetry by falsely labeling what the buttons do.

This is happening on Education, Enterprise and other versions that it should not!

What say you Microsoft. I'm accusing you of doing something illegal by collecting user data without their express knowledge.

THIS is what happens if you click ANYTHING ON THAT POPUP OTHER THAN "X" !!!

Edit: Possibly the X as well.

|

This is probably not the intended behaviour, you might want to let the Edge Development team know of your findings by sending feedback, from within Edge Alt+Shift+i
You can include your screenshots and, if you want updates on the issue, your email address, although it is not required.

Microsoft are unlikely to see the comment here and it is not something other users can help you with.

To be clear there is nothing illegal occurring here, the data is not linked to the user or the device and is less than the search provider or the ISP collect without telling you anything.

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue
by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

your other thread has been removed as a duplicate, you can add the additional information to your feedback or create further feedback. please do not create multiple threads in the Community for the same issue.

from the Microsoft Community Code of Conduct

Please don't:

• Post questions that are the same or similar to questions you have already posted. When someone has an answer or a reply, that person will respond to you.

please note, multiple violations of the code of conduct may result in your profile being suspended or banned

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is Microsoft's job to be vigilant and maintain the accuracy of their legally binding agreements and user data collection/security. It's not my job or your job to watch everything Microsoft does (in order to keep them in line).

-

<off topic content removed>

Thanks Everyone.

Note: I am hostile because IF left alone (Windows/Microsoft) Updates would eventually RESET EVERY Setting without asking and add NEW ones (that have Privacy concerns themselves). I find it very offensive when "myself" is sold as a product.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you made an observation regarding the popups, I suggested you send feedback the proper way, if you refuse to do that, I don't see what you expect to gain from posting it here.

there are very few Microsoft employees that volunteer their time in the Microsoft Community, it is very unlikely that anyone with any influence will see your comment here.

if your purpose was simply to rant, then you have done it, and that is ok to do here.
however, a rant wont change anything, feedback might (certainly will if it is not the intended behaviour).

I also reminded you that the data you referred to contains no personally identifiable data or even any reference to the device.

Your second thread was similar enough for you to include a copy of this thread - do not create multiple threads that are the same or similar to questions you have already posted

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing I really expect is Search engine results. Having something like that be known is important.

Sadly people defend Microsoft too easily, if you see their behavior over decades you would see the laziness and narcissism and court cases... I quite frankly assume the worst with MS.

I'm sorry forum mods get stuck doing Copy+Paste replies and get rippled on by users. I'm just here to post it is still happening.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[Personal Computer]

05/25/2024 3:00 PM EST

Windows 10 EDU (Updated), Edge (125.0.2535.51)

This is now attempt #3 in the past few weeks to hijack search and replace it with Bing.

I personally avoid Chrome, but what is the point if Edge is going to do this. I expect some settings regressions in updates but not as I AM ACTIVELY USING the browser.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No need to be dramatic. It's not an "attempt to hijack search". It's an ad.

Preparation is the nemesis of failure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 1, 2024 Views 43 Applies to: