MS Edge Failure to Launch - ***SOLUTION***

Hi All,

**DISCLAIMER**

This is my experience and it worked for me, as always you make changes to your device at your own risk......

Recently my 3 month old laptop running Win 11 and MS Edge suddenly decided to stop launching Edge. It actually would launch and then crash immediately. Now, I know that this has plagued many because in searching for a solution I saw years of this in threads.

Many solutions cannot be applied if you actually cannot open Edge. Many were suggesting that it may be an extension problem and that the extensions should be turned off within Edge, that's great if you can open Edge!!

2 days later and I found my solution that worked for me having been through many others that I found online and through what is called Microsoft Support, what a joke that is, sorry.

Open File Explorer - Under "More" (3 dots) go to Options - Select "View" tab - Turn On "Show Hidden Files" - Navigate to C: - Users - *yourname* - AppData - Local - Microsoft - Edge - User Data - Default - Extensions.

Once there delete all folders inside Extensions.

Close all windows and restart Edge, it should work fine. Then you can reinstall or manage any extensions that you want, I didn't except for the Norton one and if that proves to be the problem I will just delete it again an leave it.

Of course you can go back and turn off "Show Hidden Files" again if you like, its probably best.

Good Luck

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 202 Applies to: