MS Edge browser not saving history and recently closed tabs

hello Comminity,

My MS Edge browser isn't saving history or recently closed tabs. Each time the machine's switched off, after switching it back on the history tab shows no history whatsoever - as if it was getting erased with shutdown.

Has anyone experienced this and can recommend a solution/ thread I can follow to fix this perhaps? Thank you.

Good Day MargoM_

My name is Carlo, I am also using Windows 10 pc and community member like you. Let us work together to sort this out.

Here's thes steps you can try

Reset the Edge

-Open Edge and click the 3 dots at the upper right side of your screen.
-Go to Settings
-Look for Reset Settings
-Click Restore settings to their default values.

(This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.)

Restart and observe the Edge.

If issue persists you can re-install the Edge using this link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/d...

Download and install the version (99.0.1150.36)

Restart once done and observe the Edge History.

I hope the information above helps.
Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

Sincerely,
Carlo T.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hello Comminity,

My MS Edge browser isn't saving history or recently closed tabs. Each time the machine's switched off, after switching it back on the history tab shows no history whatsoever - as if it was getting erased with shutdown.

Has anyone experienced this and can recommend a solution/ thread I can follow to fix this perhaps? Thank you.

- - - - - -

Edge > Settings > Privacy, search & services > Clear browsing data > Choose what to clear every time you close the browser > all of these should be Off.

Don

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I propose an alternate solution below to Don Varnau's. Mine may be preferable for some people although I like his. However, I turned off ONLY "browsing history", not following his instructions "all of these should be Off". I still want to delete cache and cookies automatically, just not browsing history.

Here's where I found my alternate solution: (How to reopen tabs from last browsing session in the new Microsoft Edge [Windows/Mac] (mobigyaan.com)) It says...

"Reopen tabs from last browsing session in Microsoft Edge [Windows/Mac]

Here how you can reopen tabs from the last browsing session on the new Microsoft Edge browser.

• Open Microsoft Edge browser on your Windows or Mac.

• At the top-right corner, click on the three dots. Click on Settings at the bottom of the list.

• Now, on the left side pane, click On start-up option. And now click on Continue from where you left off on the right side as shown in the screenshot below."

Please note that, at least in my version of Edge, "On start-up" is called "When Edge starts". (I'm not sure where to find that setting but I saw it when I looked for "start" in the search function in Edge settings). I reset my choice to "open tabs from previous session". Unlike the solution proposed by Don Varnau, it would presumably only retain the history from the previous session, not anything older, but it does work for restoring the most recent session that has been closed.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for this NJWillia, don't think I'll be able to make use of this piece of advice unfortunately, cause this option seems to be blocked by my organisation. I'm on a work laptop). Thanks for reaching out with the advice anyways though.

I think it must be something inrinsically wrong with edge/ bing - cause for a browser used regularly, not to show any history upon realaunching is really odd!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... this option seems to be blocked by my organisation. I'm on a work laptop).

You may be able to see which settings IT is controlling if you can open the page edge://policy in a new tab. If you can't make sense of it, post a screenshot here and someone will help you interpret it.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 6,156 Applies to: