Moving contents of old Favorites File to newly installed Edge with no contents

I am trying to move a complete Favorites or all of its contents on my E drive to the new Edge browser Favorites on my new installation of windows10 without any content in Favorites. I have looked everywhere and can't find instructions. The current Edge does not have a way to transfer a file from my pc only to add/copy individual HTML files to a new folder that is empty. To do that would take hours. There seems to be no way to copy the folders the old Favorites file to the new EDGE. HELP!

hi Yobs. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Well Edge normally exports and imports Favorites manually using HTML files, so you can try to adapt that using this method:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/143983-how-...

If that can't be configured to import them, then you can copy the HTML links into the Windows c:\Users\Your User Name\Favorites folder which still backs up Internet Explorer Favorites. This will populate them in Internet Explorer which can laterally transfer them over to Edge like all browsers do now.

To access Internet Explorer type IE in Search. If it's not there go into Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Optional Features > Installed Features or Add a Feature.

To transfer Internet Explorer Favorites to Edge see here:
https://www.lifewire.com/import-favorites-to-ed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMY-KdghMC8

Feel free to ask back any questions. If you'll report back results for each step, including in each link, it can help determine what else we need to try. I will stick with you until it is fixed.

Happy New Year!

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Copy you favorites to Windows C:\Users\<Your User Name>\Favorites folder. IE stores its favorites in this folder.

2. 2.     Go to edge://favorites

3. 3.     Click on ellipsis (...) -> Import favorites

4. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer value for Import from, check Favorites or bookmarks, & click Import

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2024 Views 7,480 Applies to: