Microsoft Edge PDF printing layout

Since Edge has their latest update last week when I print a PDF in Edge it uses the previous printer settings for layouts. Previously however the page was layed out in the PDF viewer (portrait/landscape) it would print that way without me changing it. What setting do I need to change? In Adobe it is the Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size setting but I don't see that same thing for MS Edge.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

-Hi, my name is Claudeir, I'm happy to help you!
Why is the orientation of my output different from what I see in the print preview?
If your printer is printing in landscape when you selected portrait in print preview, your printer settings may be affecting your output. To resolve this issue on Windows 10, do the following:

Right click Start and select Run.

In the Open box, enter "Control", and then press OK.

Under Hardware and Sound, select View devices and printers.

Right click on your printer and select printer properties.

Select Preferences.

On the Layout tab under Orientation, change the orientation setting to Portrait.

-Feel free to leave your opinion, marking as answered if the answer helped, or leaving more details so that we can continue the service, this is very important to us.
Graciously,

Claudeir
Claudeir

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I know how to change back and forth between landscape and portrait. My problem is last week when I would have a PDF document that I was viewing in Microsoft Edge and I clicked print, the print preview that would pop up would automatically be in the correct layout. This week when I do it, it just remembers the layout that I used for the previous document. So if my previous one was a landscape document but my current one is portrait, when I am viewing it in Microsoft PDF viewer it shows in portrait, I click Print, the Print Preview box pops up and the document will show it will print in landscape since that was the last setting. The only thing that changed from last week to this week is my Edge updated.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand, I mean that Edge is always saving the last configuration, it was probably added in the last update, change the printer as I mentioned before printing.
If you want to send a suggestion to developers, on Edge, use the Shift+Alt+i shortcut, your feedback is welcome.

Go for more information on the subject:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-e...

-If our conversation was helpful in any way, please consider marking as replied to help other users, or leave more details.
Yours sincerely,

Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having the same issue here. By default Edge and Chrome will both save the last print format, but for PDFs they will read the format from the PDF and print to that format, without even giving you a format option. Chrome looks to still be doing this properly, but Edge is no longer reading the format of the PDF.

This has been since the recent 94.0.992.31 update.

I've tested Edge Beta, Dev, and Canary to no avail.

I've reverted to Edge 91.0.864.70 and the issue is resolved.

This has also broken Kiosk Printing.

How do we move forward on this?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I saw that you reported that my answer was not useful, I don't understand, because the document explains why this happens and how you should do to solve it.

Yours sincerely,

Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you referring to the "Why is the orientation of my output different from what I see in print preview?" portion of that document? This is not related to the issue we are having.

When printing a PDF in versions prior to 94.0.992.31, there are no format options for PDFs because Edge, I believe, reads it from the pdf and prints it the way it was published.

When printing a PDF in versions after 94.0.992.31, the format options are now there and you have to select what format you want.

IE used to have an Auto option that just printed the way the original document was saved, now with Edge you will constantly be changing the format for each print because the format will always be for the last print job.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you’re facing issues with the PDF printing layout on Microsoft Edge browser.

One of the things that I would suggest you to do is try resetting Microsoft Edge and see if that helps.

1. Open Microsoft Edge

2. Click on the Ellipses(…) on the top right corner of the screen

3. Now click on Settings and then select Reset Settings from the left hand pane

4. Click on Restore settings to their default values

5. Relaunch Microsoft Edge and check

Note: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

However, I would appreciate if you could provide feedback and suggestions so that our developing team can look into the suggestions and constantly improve the features. You can Open Microsoft Edge. Click on the Settings & More Ellipsis (…) on the right hand corner and then, select Help & Feedback and select Send Feedback.  

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I understand that you’re facing issues with the PDF printing layout on Microsoft Edge browser.

One of the things that I would suggest you to do is try resetting Microsoft Edge and see if that helps.

1. Open Microsoft Edge

Note: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

However, I would appreciate if you could provide feedback and suggestions so that our developing team can look into the suggestions and constantly improve the features. You can Open Microsoft Edge. Click on the Settings & More Ellipsis (…) on the right hand corner and then, select Help & Feedback and select Send Feedback.  

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

I just now tested and this does not resolve the issue. When trying to print a pdf the format is still remembering landscape even though the pdf is portrait.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. Open Microsoft Edge

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

I just now tested and this does not resolve the issue. When trying to print a pdf the format is still remembering landscape even though the pdf is portrait.

It is still the same here in version 95.0.1020.53.
Could an answer be provided?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Edge, Version 96.0.1054.34 (Official build) (64-bit)

I'm having the same recent issues as everyone. For me, there is no "Portrait" or "Landscape" option.

However, it does appear that the orientation option is only missing when the PDF contains different page sizes (e.g. a mix of A4 and A3). My workaround is to find a DIFFERENT PDF that is single page size, choose print, change the orientation to what you wanted in the ORIGINAL document, CANCEL the print, go back to the original document you wanted, and your orientation should now be correct (well, it's working for me).

Hope that helps others.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 5,690 Applies to: