Microsoft edge download deleted

So I was dragging a word document to upload it online, but I missed the upload box and microsoft edge downloaded the file instead. I thought it was a duplicate and clicked the trash icon on the download tab, and found that the file is gone forever and I can't find it anywhere... So apparently dragging a word document into microsoft edge = removing it from your computer + re-downloading it?? Shouldn't it work something like google drive where it uploads the file instead of completely removing it from your computer?? Where can I find it and how can I recover it?? Thanks.

Hi Peter,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

It depends on a few things

Did you originally download that file from the Internet, then edit the file on your PC and was it still stored in the Downloads folder after you edited the document?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No, I created a word document and worked on it, then clicked save as and saved it in the Downloads folder, then tried to upload the document onto the assignment page, but then I miss clicked and that document got removed from my downloads folder and microsoft edge downloaded it, but I thought it was a duplicate and trashed it, only to notice that I no longer have the document in the downloads folder.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

If you created that document and it was not in the Downloads folder when you created it, then that should still exist on your PC somewhere, have you checked on OneDrive online to see if your file is there.

https://onedrive.live.com/

I do not know how Edge would download your file, if you created it and it was not successfully uploaded,

If you have deleted that file and it does not exist on your OneDrive, you will need to use a 3rd party recovery utility to try to restore that file.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Edge somehow downloaded my file because I dragged the .docx onto the webpage instead of the upload box... Like if I drag a docx file on this webpage, edge seems to remove the file from my File Explorer and download it... Then if I trash the download the file is gone completely, I've just tried with a third party recovery but it can only find the .lnk (shortcut file) but not the contents in that .docx

I don't understand why edge doesn't have an option similar to the recycle bin... I guess the docx is gone forever then?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

Open Word, then you should see that file in the list of recent files, can you open it form there.

The behavior you describe is not standard Edge behavior, it may be something on the web site you were uploading the to.

If you think about it, if you did not successfully upload that file, how could Edge re-download it, when that file does not exist online.

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://youtu.be/HbGeLkmcehE

If I try to open the file in word, it tells me "Sorry, we couldn't find your file. Was it moved, renamed, or deleted?"

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

Thank you, I viewed that video, I have never, ever seen a file being deleted by simply dragging it into an Edge tab, I tried to do that on each of my 3 laptops and that does not happen when I drag a file into Edge, there must be something corrupt in your Windows or Edge installation.

You will need to try a few different 3rd party recovery tools to search that downloads folder location to see if any of them can recover that file.

Power to the Developer!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 2,517 Applies to: