Microsoft Edge Defender Is Showing My Site As Unsafe

Ever since Edge went live, my website [removed] shows as unsafe to anyone trying to access it.  This problem is not just for people on a specific computer or people using a specific OS... anyone using Edge anywhere gets this popup.  I have called numerous times.  Most recently they created ticket #1022861212, transferred me 4 times to 4 different people and ultimately gave me a phone number that doesn't go anywhere.  When trying to access my site, the red screen shows up stating my site is unsafe.  There is a link on there where you can dispute the findings, I've since lost count how many times I've filled out that form.  It doesn't seem like anything I do gets me any closer to getting this fixed.

At this point I'm really not sure what to do.  I just need someone to actually view my site to see that my site is an informational site only where I display my work and that I don't gather any personal information at all and remove my site from the blacklist.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  If so, how did you get this removed?

Hi Aaron, my name is Neil, I'm an independent adviser and a Windows 10 user like you.

I'm really sorry this is happening to your website. I used to create websites for my own clients a few years ago and think I may have a few ideas for you.

Before I go on, I have also reported your website as safe for you (a couple of times). I've looked at it and it's obvious to me there's not even the ability to run any phishing scam or anything else untoward as you don't have any areas of data collection for site visitors, other than a simple contact form.

Have you noticed on the Microsoft Defender Smartscreen page that the "https" part of your website's domain name has a line through it. I believe this is pointing out that your website is not actually as secure as it reports to be. Might be an invalid security certificate. This would therefore trigger the warning that your website might be up to something no good.

It's been awhile since I used to create websites and now nearly all websites have to be securely hosted, so I believe this might be a setting somewhere on the website you used to create your website (Weebly?).

If you have any point of contact for support at Weebly I would ask them about this if you are unable to find a setting about your websites secure hosting.

Let me know how you get on with this. If you need further help then we can look at other options but I believe this is the best course of action for you at the moment.

Kindest regards,

Neil
Neil :)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you able to turn on SSL in your account at all Aaron?

This is the fix I believe you're looking for. From what I can find on the Weebly forums it looks like SSL was only available on the business plans, however people complaining with the same issue you have (not on business plans it seems) with your site have had this corrected inside their accounts where they can enable SSL and it fixes the issue you're having.

Have a look at this link from the Weebly forums from 2017 to 2019: https://community.weebly.com/t5/Lounge/MICROSOF...

If you read through the 6 pages of comments, you can see where engineers and other Weebly staff have fixed this issue for several users.

Since this is from 2019 at the latest, I would presume they would have permanently put a fix in place for this issue by now!? Hopefully!

Bear in mind if you do find this SSL and turn it on, you will need to empty your browser cache in Edge before your website will display properly, as you might think it has not been fixed or corrected if you still see the same red page.

Kindest regards,

Neil

**NOTE**
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neil,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out and I thank you for filling out the dispute link as well.  I double checked and my SSL is activated, and my website is showing HTTPS with a lock symbol in Chrome, so I'm not sure why Edge would be showing something different.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aaron,

OK, this makes me think there could be some specific issue with your SSL certificate that Edge doesn't like.

Have you contacted the folks at Weebly and asked them why your website is being treated this way? I honestly think that they may have the best answer for you regarding this.

Other things to make sure of are widgets and plugins on your website. Even if you aren't using them (they're currently hidden), if you have a widget or site plugin (maybe for your future online shop or customer login say) then removing this from your website could fix the issue. It has for others using Weebly.

Let me know how you get on. I definitely think that raising either a support ticket with Weebly or getting into the forums and asking a question there will help.

Kindest regards,

Neil

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aaron,

Just to let you know that I cleared my Edge cache and your website is now showing as normal and there is no warning :)

This looks sorted for you.

Please check for yourself. I will give you the instructions to clear your cache in Edge and then go and visit your website and all is good.

To Clear The Cache in Edge:

Open Edge.

Press Ctrl+H on your keyboard to open the History box.

Click the 3 dots (...) at the top of the History box.

Click on "Clear browsing data”.

In the drop-down "Time range" box select "All time".

Make sure the first 4 boxes are checked (Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files).

Click the "Clear now" button.

Let Edge clear the data.

Afterwards, close Edge.

Then re-open Edge and check your website.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kindest regards,

Neil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 3,477 Applies to: