Microsoft Edge changes default search engine from google to Bing on restart.

Sometimes, not always, Edge changes my default search engine from google to Bing on computer restart. I even uninstalled Bing once, but it got installed again i guess, and chosen as default on a restart. This is a snip of the message i get when i go into the settings to set the default search engine after an automatic change to Bing:

I've checked my extensions, and none of them should have any setting that changes the search engine. (I've read that extensions can do this) I can provide a list of my extensions as well. This makes me to believe that it might be because of an app. There might be an app that changes my settings ,as the message states, but this is a massive search for me to try to find which app does this. Also, "restored it back to default" have restored it to the abomination called Bing. Bing is not my default, so I believe the problem is with edge.

So, is there any way to find out which app is making Edge restore search engine back to Bing? I assume that Edge has some information/log somewhere since it was able to give me this message. Otherwise, does anyone know of some apps that can cause this? Is there a list of apps that have permission to change Edge settings, which can help narrow my search.

Otherwise, any tips are greatly appreciated!

Here are my extensions:

Other details:
- PC: Lenovo Yoga 9i (82LU)

- OS: Windows 11, 23h2 (has been a problem for about a year, so on other versions as well)

Hello Christian, sorry about your problems. My name is Marco and I will do my best to help you.

Microsoft Edge does not provide a specific log that shows which apps have changed its settings.

-To manage your installed apps and check their permissions, type edge://apps in the address bar of Edge. This will display the list of installed apps and allow you to manage them.

-Check for Malicious Software: Malware or unwanted software can sometimes interfere with browser settings. Running a reputable antivirus or antimalware scan on your system can help identify and remove any malicious software that might be causing the issue.
Download, install and scan with theses free versions apps.
AdwCleaner to clean browser: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Malwarebytes to clean pc: https://malwarebytes.com/

-Clearing browsing data in Microsoft Edge can sometimes resolve unexpected behavior. Navigate to Edge Settings > Privacy, Search & Services > Clear Browsing Data, and choose the data you want to clear. This may help resolve the issue if it is related to corrupted data.

Keep an eye on Edge's behavior to see if the default search engine is being reset at specific times or after using certain apps. This observation may help identify patterns that can lead to the source of the issue.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 800 Applies to: