Map Location Issue in Microsoft Edge

To,
Microsoft
   I am using "Microsoft Edge"Web Browser on My Windows 10 OS. I am getting Error Message on Google Map while acessing Location. In Bing Map & Google Maps (as shown Screen Shot below)  shows Error Message i.e
→ Bing Map: We could not review your exact Location. This is your default settings
→ Google Map: Cannot acess your Location. Does not have permission to use your location. 

I would like to know why is Microsoft Edge Web Browser not able to acess My Location accurately in Google & Bing Map. What can be the reason behing that.

Please check it out & help me resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thanks..

** Bing Map **

** Google Map **

Answer
Answer

This is a great question. Thanks for posting!

Currently in Edge (81 builds and before) on Windows 10, even when you've granted a site access to your location, Edge also checks the Windows 10 Location Privacy Settings "Allow access to location on this device" and "Allow apps access to your location", as on Windows 10 Edge relies on the Windows OS to provide the location (using the device's capabilities to do so). Both of these need settings need to be on for Edge to access your location. You can check whether this is the case for you by going to Windows 10 Settings > Privacy > Location (or type "location privacy settings" in the search box to find a direct shortcut to the settings). Check if these settings are both ON and try again.

To note, starting with Edge 83, we made some changes: if you've explicitly consented Edge to share location with a site you trust (using Location: Allow in Site Permissions), but you simply don't want (or in some cases cannot) give win32 applications access to your device's capabilities to pinpoint your location in Windows 10 Settings, Edge will use a service to retrieve a reasonably accurate location in the same way Edge does on non-Windows 10 platforms. This is also what all most browsers do on Windows 10 and elsewhere.  This service naturally will never be as accurate as when you are using the device's mechanisms, especially if the device has a GPS chip.  Also, you have to continue give this permission on a per-site bases as you are already doing, and you can revoke these site permissions any time by going to Settings > Site permissions in Edge. 

Hope his helps - thank you for using Edge!

Vincent Wehren - MSFT

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2023 Views 756 Applies to: