Internet Options vs. Edge settings ?

Hello:

In the past, when setting up my PCs I went into Windows Features and unselected (disabled) Internet Explorer 11. Now I use Edge as web browser.

What is the relationship between the old Internet Options control panel and the settings in Edge?

For example, in Internet Options | Privacy tab | Advanced, I set Third-party Cookies to "Block". But, in Edge settings | Cookies and site data, "Block third-party cookies" is not enabled, meaning that third-party cookies are not blocked. So, what is that setting in Internet Options doing?

There are other settings that seem to overlap between Internet Options and Edge settings, but again I don't know what Internet Options does now that Internet Explorer 11 is disabled on my systems.

Answer
Answer

What is the relationship between the old Internet Options control panel and the settings in Edge?

That's not easy to answer, and I suspect there aren't many people who could answer it. Some of the settings in Internet Options (or Internet Properties, depending on how you open the dialogue) apply throughout Windows, especially if they make a registry change. Some only apply to IE, and some apply to IE and sometimes to Edge. The example you give about third-party cookies illustrates one of the options that applies only to IE and not to Edge.

In general, use the Edge options to set your preferences. If there isn't one in Edge that you need, the one in Internet Options might be the one you're looking for. An example would be enabling support for TLS 1.1 to access a particular website; this is on the Advanced tab of Internet Options, but nowhere else that I know of.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Thanks again. That's true. Only two tabs are be usable out of Internet Explorer: Those tabs are Connections and Advanced. Others functions were only usable for Internet Explorer or were moved to new Windows interface like proxy settings. But some Windows components still getting parameters from internet options. This is the reason why Internet options is still alive.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 1,326 Applies to: