How to get rid of Edge or at least stop it from taking over

I understand that it is next to impossible to uninstall Edge. However, is there some way to stop Edge from taking over? Recently, Microsoft installed the new Edge as part of a Windows 10 update. Although I have another browser set as my default, Edge keeps popping up randomly when I attempt a search or whenever I open PDFs or other browser dependent files. To get around this, I used to select the file in File Explorer, right click and select the default browser. However, since the latest update, the system does not permit this and instead forces us to use Edge. I very much dislike Edge, find it clunky at best and tire of the almost constant barrage of MS ads and "offers." It is also way slower than either of our favored browsers - Firefox and Chrome.  In addition, searches using Edge bring less accurate results and, of-course, does not offer the option to turn off tracking. Is there some way to at least turn Edge off and remove it from the preferred browser list? 
Hello Shoya52, welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Luiz Cruz, an independent consultant and I would be happy to help you.

I understand that I would like to uninstall Microsoft Edge. However, this browser as well as Internet Explore is a system resource and for this reason it is not possible to remove them. However, you can choose to disable the feature. To do this, use the steps below:

1. On the Desktop, simultaneously press the Windows + R keys to open Run;

2. In Run, type “APPWIZ.CPL” and click Ok, to open Programs and Features;

3. Under Programs and Features, click Enable or disable Windows features;

4. Deselect the Internet Explorer 11 item and click OK;

5. Restart the system.

I hope I helped, even more!

61 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried this it didnt work any other proceedures I could try? Web sites that recognize me from Chrome dont with Edge, constantly changing passwords then my Android divices dont work I Change passwords on Android devices then the desk top doesnt work, if I cant get Edge to leave me alone, something will have to go.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can’t even do a search with Edge. As soon as I type anything in the search bar, Edge help comes up and creates multiple tabs. And it won’t stop doing it. It’s become useless and very irritating. How do I make it stop?

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just want to thank you for this solution. I have not tried it yet but you are the first person to give a reasonable response. I get that we cannot uninstall edge, but I hate it. The stupid microsoft community does not even realize how bad it is. for many years I have complained about their email. It is awful. I still cannot figure it out. You cannot use it. How they have tech support is beyond me so we are forced to use google which at least works. It infuriates me every time that stupid Edge hut shows up, takes over the screen and forces me to have to deal with taking back my computer. How can Microsoft be so stupid in some ways and so brilliant in others. But thank you again. We just want to be able to deal with it without doing something to our computer that has other consequences that get us into a different batch of problems.

Sharon

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The above fix works perfectly thank you.

But a bit annoyed that Microsoft are forcing the use of this browser without asking first. I appreciate they want people to use it.....but ask, don't dictate.

92 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2024 Views 16,481 Applies to: