How to configure chromium Edge to open links (received in e-mail) in NEW WINDOW, instead of in a NEW TAB?

How to configure chromium Edge to open links (received in e-mail) in NEW WINDOW, instead of in a NEW TAB?

Whenever I click on a link in an e-mail the link opens in a NEW TAB in an active EDGE CHROMIUM Browser which is open at that time but not in a NEW WINDOW!!!???

Internet Explorer used to have this type of settings in the settings menu but EDGE CHROMIUM doesnot have!!!???

For GOOGLE CHROME there was a setting to be done by editing registry!!!!????

Like changing the Data Value "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command" changed to ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --new-window "%1")

Is there any such thing for EDGE CHROMIUM!!!!?????

Or does EDGE CHROMIUM has any settings I missed!!!!!!?????

Hi, I'm Elise, an independent advisor and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

There isn’t an option for this in either the new or legacy version of edge unfortunately.

Only advice I can give is to submit this request using the feedback hub app to Microsoft as a suggestion.

Kind Regards,
Elise

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The registry key you need to edit is this one:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEdgeHTM\shell\open\command

Change the (Default) value data to

(Stable Edge on 32-bit Windows):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --new-window "%1"

(Stable Edge on 64-bit Windows):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --new-window "%1"

If you're using a preview version (Beta, Dev or Canary), change the path to msedge.exe as appropriate.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The registry key you need to edit is this one:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEdgeHTM\shell\open\command

Change the (Default) value data to

(Stable Edge on 32-bit Windows):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --new-window "%1"

(Stable Edge on 64-bit Windows):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --new-window "%1"

If you're using a preview version (Beta, Dev or Canary), change the path to msedge.exe as appropriate.

No it did not work as required!!!!

When my PC had Google Chrome as default I had changed the Data Value "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command" to ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --new-window "%1").

So I thought I have to change that Data Value for Chromium Edge too, but (after changing to Chromium Edge as default) it has the entry ("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1), i.e., for the OLD Internet Explorer!!!!!?????

I did not change the setting as I thought this might affect my system!!!

Hence this Question here.

And another thing, if there is a setting like this, will the setting be permanent, as when the default browser was Google Chrome, the settings used change to the default value at every next update and I had to do the settings on every update!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, this is really weird, I have the exact opposite problem, namely each and every time I click on a link (e.g., in an email), Edge Chromium opens it in a new browser window, instead of simply opening a new tab in the existing browser window. To me, this is extremely annoying, because I end up with a bunch of browser windows disseminated across my desktops. I really wish it opened in a new tab and I have been looking for this setting with no luck for a long time. But evidently, if you and I are having the opposite problem it must be possible to configure things the way we want... how, though, that is the question.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 5,816 Applies to: