How do I make Edge ask for password when I login to my profile?

I use school's computer at work. Whenever I sign-in on Edge using my Outlook account, Edge never asks me to enter my password. Which means anyone can just select my e-mail whenever they select an Edge profile. This is a huge security issue.

To make sure no one can use my e-mail/profile, I have to remove my accounts from Windows 10 Settings > Email & accounts, and Settings > Your info. This is such a tiresome thing to do every time I finish using school computer to ensure my security.

Answer
Answer

To make sure no one can use my e-mail/profile, I have to remove my accounts from Windows 10 Settings > Email & accounts, and Settings > Your info. 

Those settings are for your Windows user account. Edge's user data is also stored in your Windows user profile. Anyone who has access to your Windows user account has access to all of your data - documents, pictures, email, browsing history, for example. Only those who know the password to the Windows user account can see stored passwords, though.

So, to keep your data private, require a password to sign in to Windows. Then, whenever you leave the computer, Lock it (Windows key + L) or sign out of Windows (Start > right-click on the profile picture).

I can't imagine why the school's IT department would do so, but you'll have to ask them for help if you find that any of these manoeuvres is blocked.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 5,993 Applies to: