How can I uninstall the new Microsoft edge update

I extremely dislike the new microsoft edge powered by chromium. I don't use chromium, i dont want to and I won’t. i didnt install this new update it installed its self on my computer in the apps the update is listed as its own app. the uninstall feature isnt availible to use. That’s not legal to upload or download anything on my computer without my permission.

I dislike this new update and want to revert it  back to the pervious version of microsoft edge without Chromium. It causes me to loose data and saved tabs that I don’t want to and should have to loose.

Hello Philip,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you want to revert back to the previous version of Microsoft Edge.

Press Start then search Microsoft Edge
Right click then Uninstall

If it doesn't work, Please try this workaround to Uninstall the Edge Chromium then Edge legacy will be reinstated together with your favorites.

Open Edge Chromium > Click 3 dots > Help and Feedback
Select About Microsoft Edge
Take note of the version

Press Start then search command prompt
Right click then run as administrator
At the command prompt, copy paste the following command, and then press ENTER:
(Note: You may try to change 84.0.522.52 below depending on the Edge Version you take note earlier.)

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.52\Installer"

After that, copy paste the following command, and then press ENTER:

setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Once Microsoft Edge is uninstalled, you will now have access to Edge Legacy.

If it still doesn't work, You can try to use Revouninstaller. It's free, you don't need to buy it. Kindly download and install the software. Select Microsoft Edge then Uninstall.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstalle...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't recommend that anyone uninstall Edge for one good reason. Any method used to remove Edge makes changes to Windows 10 System and you never know when Microsoft might release an update that requires what was changed and your computer ends up a brick. If you still feel that you must remove Edge, I would suggest you try Revo uninstaller. You can download it here; https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/.

I hope this helps, and if you need any further assistance, please post, and we will be glad to assist you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It won't brick your PC. sure Edge C. is now a default program in Windows 10. but uninstalling it doesn't mean your PC will get bricked.

just imagine you uninstall Edge chromium and then you'd have to clean install Windows again cuz it can't boot. it's nonsense

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is unfortunate for me. and i hate to tell it to myself since it was my favorite Edge version this whole time. But Microsoft made it so Edge Legacy will crash in 20H1-21H1. which is sad tbh because it was my favorite version of edge. It had the best UI which fitted for Windows 10. Edge Chromium feels like i'm using MacOS.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It just. doesn't feel right

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use Google Chrome and just received the new Windows 10 update and Microsoft Edge cleared out Chrome and installed itself as my browser. I had to remove it from my start up, reselect Chrome as my default browser, sign back into Google, resign into my email accout, etc, etc.

What a fxxxing waste of my time. I did not ask for edge and don't want it. You can't uninstall it,

Is there someway to block it from clearing out my browser or just BLOCK it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can install it. But edge will just turn into a 48 KB folder but it's uninstalled completely. though the reason why it still shows up as an 48KB folder is because Microsoft completely removed the code of the legacy version. and the Legacy version is still there, just broken and it's f***ing 48KB.
You can using the command prompt though (though it will reinstall so turn off the updates):
Type in cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\Check the actual folder to see the latest version, (ex. 92.X.XXX.XX)\Installer"
then once you are in the folder in CMD, go type in setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall
Then there you go, again as i mentioned it won't be fully uninstalled due to Edge Legacy but it's a 48KB folder so uhh pretty close

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 3,930 Applies to: