How can I permanently turn off an Edge policy controlling the search engine for Edge address bar?

A few days ago, after years of no problems, Edge suddenly has a policy setting Bing as the default search engine for the address bar. I have always configured Edge to use Google as the search engine.

This is not a system belonging to a company or organization; it is my private PC.

I scanned for malware with my Vipre and with Malwarebytes; nothing found.

I reset the Edge settings to default, no change.

I deleted the policy from Registry, and the policy was gone.

However, after an hour or so, suddenly reinstates the policy. I can be looking at the Edge://policy page, and it magically changes from no policy to enabling that policy.

I delete the registry data again and it is good for another hour or so, then it is back.

I had installed a couple of programs recently, maybe about the same time this problem started. I uninstalled both programs, including searching and deleting from the Registry all references to those programs.

Scanned for malware again, nothing found.

Nothing changed regarding the persistent policy.

|

Please share Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

• If your computer language is not English, rename FRST64.exe to FRST64English.exe

• Run FRST and press "Scan"

• Two logs are created in the folder that FRST is run from, FRST.txt and Addition.txt

• Upload the logs to OneDrive, Google Drive or any file sharing service and post the share link

Note: If you are downloading FRST with Edge, smartscreen may initially block it.

Click on the 3 dots next to the warning and select Keep-> Show more-> Keep anyway.

Share OneDrive files and folders - Microsoft Support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2024 Views 48 Applies to: