Help with clearing browsing data and, especially, cookies from EDGE

I went to EDGE | Settings | Privacy, search, and services | Clear browsing data | Choose what to clear | Last 4 weeks. But every time I go there, the same 75-80 entries are still there. Especially annoying is "googlesyndication.com," which when selected, shows an extremely long sub-list of cookies.

I have also gone to EDGE | Settings | Cookies and site permissions | See all cookies and site data. There are more than 75 listed there. I have deleted each of them individually, but the next time I go to that page they are all still there.

I go to Block, and read: "You've prevented the following sites from saving and reading cookies on your device." There I have entered googlesyndication.com. But it still continues to be included on the cookies list.

Have I done something wrong? For the past few years this function has worked flawlessly. Specifically, googlesyndication.com was "prevented." Until now.

Hello Grandpa Jim

Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

I noticed that even after blocking "googlesyndication.com" you still see a lot of this website's data in the cookie, so I think this may be the cause of your edge profile, I recommend you try the following:

After clearing the edge profile, reinstall edge. This method can reconfigure your edge on your computer.

Since you are a Windows user, you do not need to uninstall Microsoft Edge before reinstalling.

Disclaimer: Your browser automatically saves temporary internet files to help pages load faster. Clearing this cache will sometimes fix website issues. Please back up all your personal files first, such as Favorites, to ensure you do not lose data.  

The specific steps are as follows:

1. Open your folder and delete the contents in the following two locations:

APPDATA\LOCAL\Microsoft\edge
    c:\Program files(X86)\microsoft\edge\ 

2. Open any working browser. Note: If you are a Windows user and your Microsoft Edge is not currently running properly, to open Internet Explorer, type "IE" in the search box on the taskbar, then select "Internet Explorer" from the results. Or press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and type IE in the search bar.)

3. Go to www.microsoft.com/edge to download and reinstall Microsoft Edge.

4. Log back into your edge account and test that you can organize the saving and reading of the site properly 

Please tell me the progress of this problem. If you have any questions or additions about this problem, please feel free to reply below. I will provide you with further technical help and look forward to your reply.

Best Regarts ,

Morning | Microsoft Technical Support Community 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

While I am deeply grateful for your interest in my issue and your detailed suggestions for correcting it, my initial reaction is that this is "WAY beyond my pay grade." I am 79 years old and the farthest thing from tech savvy, so I am always reluctant to make any major changes from the default settings on my computer(s). BTW, it may be relevant to add that on the problem desktop, the page that shows Blocked trackers displays 1966 trackers--while on the trouble-free laptop, "Tracking prevention blocked 0 trackers."

Also note from your suggestions: This page isn’t working right now. "www.microsoft.com can't currently handle this request."

Differences noted between EDGE on the Problem Desktop and the No-problem Laptop:

The problem EDGE on the Desktop:

Microsoft Edge 10/21/23 Microsoft Edge Update 7/5/23 Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime 10/16/2023 Tracking prevention blocked 1,965 trackers Always use “Strict” tracking prevention when browsing InPrivate ON Optional diagnostic data greyed Personalization & advertising ON Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites This setting is turned off for managed browsers. By default, Microsoft Edge uses your current service provider. Alternate DNS providers may cause some sites to not be reachable. Use current service provider GREYED OUT By default, Microsoft Edge uses your current service provider. Alternate DNS providers may cause some sites to not be reachable. Get notified when creators you follow post new content GREYED OUT EDGE is often very slow to open to new tab page. Loading ... It often just hangs, and I have to click on new tab.

The no-problem EDGE on the Laptop:

Microsoft Edge 10/22/23 Microsoft Edge Update 7/10/23 Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime 10/15/2023 Tracking prevention blocked 0 trackers Always use “Strict” tracking prevention when browsing InPrivate OFF Optional diagnostic data greyed Personalization & advertising OFF Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites ON By default, Microsoft Edge uses your current service provider. Alternate DNS providers may cause some sites to not be reachable. Use current service provider CHECKED Get notified when creators you follow post new content OFF EDGE loads quickly to New tab page.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Grandpa Jim,

It was a pleasure to receive your reply and thank you for the information you provided to the question.

Sorry for providing you with more complicated steps before. According to your description, you clearly browse the data before by clearing the data through the Cookies and site permissions set by edge, right? Feel free to point out if I'm wrong.

I've re-organized the procedure for you, and you can try the following steps to Clear browsing data:

• Click on Privacy, search, and services--- Find Clear browsing data now--- Click on the right choose what to clear---time range Select all time---Check Cookies and other sites data---Click clear now

If you want, I can also provide you with another method to clear your browsing data, which will clear your browsing data every time you close the browser.

The steps are as follows:

• Go to Privacy, search, and services---- and go to Clear browsing data---Choose what to clear every time you close the browser--- The Cookies and other site data are then turned on.

In addition, through your reply, I noticed that you mentioned that your current DNS provider has caused some of your site to be inaccessible. You may consider trying to replace your DNS by following the following steps:

• Win + Q to open the search box, enter 'ncpa.cpl', press Enter to open the "Network Connections" window, select your network adapter, right-click > "Properties", double-click "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IP)", then Set as shown below.

If the method of changing DNS does not resolve this issue, you may want to consider contacting your DNS provider.

I hope the above methods can help you, please tell me about the progress of this problem, if you have any questions about this problem, please feel free to reply below, I will provide further technical support. If you have a question about another Microsoft product, feel free to post it again.

Best Regarts ,

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My issue as described in my OP is that the "Clear browsing data" does not remove the Cookies, including particularly the one that is listed as BLOCKED. I never suspected any other issue with "browsing data."

I have since noticed that on the cookies page there is a drop-down at the top that offers All, First Party, or Third Party. Each selection displays different lists--even though "Block third party cookies" is selected.

Regarding the problem computer, I wrote: "Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites This setting is turned off for managed browsers. By default, Microsoft Edge uses your current service provider. Alternate DNS providers may cause some sites to not be reachable. OFF for managed browsers." Apparently the default setting. [What is meant by "managed browsers?"]

On my trouble-free laptop computer, this entry is "On by default." [Is this a non-managed browser?]

I confess that I have no idea what this means, though I intuit that it may be significant with regard to my original issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Grandpa Jim,

Thank you for your feedback.

First of all, regarding the "hosted browser", please allow me to explain to you that if your account is not hosted by the company, whether the hosted browser is open or not does not affect your network security and network connection, the reason for default opening may be that a third party application has changed the registry, because it is difficult to find the changed location, if you want to cancel the hosting, it is best to uninstall and reinstall. However, considering that this will not affect your use, you can ignore it, if you need to reinstall, please let me know, I will provide you with detailed steps to reinstall.

You can test if the same thing happens by creating a new edge account,you can test it by creating a new edge account, which can rule out the edge account configuration reasons, the steps of this operation are very simple, you just need to click the round picture in the top left corner of the edge, Then click set up new personal profile and see if the same problem occurs.

You can also block some websites by following these steps,The steps are as follows:

1. Tap three points in the upper right corner of edge to open the Settings.

If you don't already have Home security set up, you will be asked to create a Microsoft account and set it as Home Security.

2. On the Family Security Settings page, select the user account you want to restrict.

3. Find the "Web Filtering" option.

4. Add the URL of the website.

Best Regarts ,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you again for your suggestions and recommendations. I will study them carefully.

I still haven't the foggiest idea what a "managed browser" is (or is it "hosted?") or why it is on one computer and not the other. And what, pray tell, is "the company"?

But, as you say, "considering that this will not affect your use, you can ignore it." I will.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Grandpa Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

Please allow me to explain to you that when I wrote "the company" in my last reply, it does not mean a specific company, it means any company or enterprise.

What is the progress of "clearing browsing data"? If you still can't solve the problem, please tell me where you encountered difficulties on the way to solve the problem, I will continue to provide technical support for you.

If you have other questions about Microsoft products, please feel free to post again and we will be happy to provide technical support for you.

Thank you again for your understanding and support, please click yes or no to help us improve our support experience.

Best Regarts ,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Grandpa Jim's problem is not unique. It appears to be linked to updates sent by Microsoft. I am using Windows 11 Pro with Microsoft Edge and have found that nothing seems to be able to delete the old cookies, even following some of the steps suggested by Microsoft. It needs to be fixed in software update by Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE

The moderator's reply on 24 October 2023 is helpful, if you select :

lick on Privacy, search, and services--- Find Clear browsing data now--- Click on the right choose what to clear---time range Select all time---Check Cookies and other sites data---Click clear now

In my case, selecting all time helped me clear the cookies and browsing data.

I hope that it helps you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2024 Views 812 Applies to: