File Explorer History?

Is there any way to check folder history for file explorer? I've moved a lot of files in a folder and now I am trying to remove some files, ( a file is causing one of my .exe files errors ). and now I can't find it. so I would like to know if they were some way to find file/folder movement history. if there is a way please tell me, please, and thank you.

Good day JeanetteAnnette! I am glad to be able to provide assistance to you today. I understand that you are checking with regards to file explorer history. Kindly try and check the below and see how it goes.

- Open File Explorer
- Click on the dropdown arrow on the folder/path address and check its history
- Another thing to try is to press Windows key + R and this will open up the run box
- Copy and paste the below
C:\Users\Username\Recent - change the "Username" to your PC's username
- View the files there and check if that helps you out.

Regards,
Paul R.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to do this right now and it kept saying it couldn't find it. I swear I copy and paste my user name in. but it keeps saying unable to find it.

and also my username has a space.. and it won't read past the space.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JeanetteAnnette, apologies as I am already out of ideas and maybe someone else will know the solution with regards to this issue that you are experiencing and will let them chime in.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeanette. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

There is no folder history in File Explorer, except that you can set File History which will put a Previous Versions tab on files so you can restore earlier versions, but that is not what you want from what I read.

What you can try is to System Restore to a point before the problem started:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began like a time machine. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started. If System Restore is not enabled on C drive do that now so it's available in the future.

Otherwise you can check the Recycle Bin on desktop, do a keyword search in the task bar Search box to try to find where the files went. If you hit on one, choose Show File Location to find out where it went.

If this is not exactly what you need, please explain a bit more so I can help you better. Otherwise feel free to ask back questions and keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until this is resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 13,181 Applies to: