Edge freezing when printing PDF to network printer with McAfee DLP installed

Preface:
McAfee DLP is the cause. I am not the admin for DLP on our system, so i wouldn't know where to start looking. However there is additional info

Symptoms: When printing a PDF file opened in the latest edition of Microsoft Edge and a network printer is selected as the default, Edge will either hang for a long time, or outright freeze until force closed.

Things tested.

• McAfee DLP removed from system - All printing is normal

• If a USB printer, or a virtual printer is selected as default, then the print dialogue opens and can print normally

- However, if you try to select a network printer at this point, then edge freezes again

• If Edge is launched by running msedgewebview2.exe Then printing is normal even with DLP running

• Using the PDF Reader plugin from the microsoft store causes the same issue (possible relation with the PDF.js library?)

• KB4560960 and KB4567512 were attempted to be applied to the system however the installer said they were not applicable to the system.

• IPv6 disabled on both workstation and printer.

• Changed driver from PCL to PS

• Edge reset, all profiles removed from system.

• Running version 91.0.864.67

Try update to the latest version of he McAfee DLP and report this issue to the McAfee support.

Report this issue using the feedback option in Microsoft Edge.

Take a look at How to Report a Feedback/Bug to Microsoft Edge’s Team? - Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for posting this. It will be useful for anyone experiencing the same problem who happens to find this thread in the future.

However, I'd urge you to submit feedback using the browser's own dialogue (Alt-Shift-i). This will be seen by the development team and triaged to the appropriate people, who may ask for further information. In the meantime, it would help to know which build(s) of Windows 10 are involved. There have been several updates recently to address various printing issues, so the build status will help pin down affected systems.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot update DLP as like i said at the start, i am not the agency admin for that program.

I'm curious as what the difference is between msedge.exe and msedgewebview2.exe
Both look exactly the same, both utilize the plugins installed on the system, and both operate exactly the same. Yet one is 2.7MB (webview) and msedge is 3.2MB

So apparently, there is something inherent to msedge.exe that DLP does not like, but yet does not exist in msedgewebview2

That has been basically my workaround for the people that need to print PDF's and because of group policy (which i cannot edit) reverts the default PDF viewer to edge upon each sign in. I take the msedgewebview2.exe copy and paste it to the base Edge program directory and replace msedge.exe with it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Report this issue using the Feedback option.

Ask your administrator to check the latest version of the McAfee.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Partial Solution:

Type 4 driver is needed.
Must bypass print server, and manually install the printer via TCP/IP port.

Uncheck Query printer and automatically select driver

Choose Have Disk

Select your Type 4 driver..

Finish install

Edge no longer freezes. This is still a McAfee DLP issue. Something to do with Type 3 drivers and shared printers via a print server. But this work around is perfect for the employees that constantly print from Edge.

Also one more thing to note: In the original post, i mentioned specifically PDF files. This was untrue. Any type of printing when a shared network printer (via print server) was set as default would cause edge to freeze. Not just PDF's

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2023 Views 2,614 Applies to: