Edge Chromium - Download File - Open vs. Save Option Pop-up Window

I recently installed Edge Chromium and found that the program has inherited the Chrome method of downloading files, wherein the file automatically downloads to the downloads folder (or other selected folder), then gives the user the option to open the file or open the file location folder.

I much prefer the old IE/Edge download file method with the open vs save option pop-up window that allowed the user to open the file (to a temp location) or save/save-as the file to a location specified by the user at the time of download, all of which occurred before the file is downloaded locally.

The Chrome download method is one of the reasons I never switched to Chrome in the first place, and now it appears we have lost the old IE/Edge method.  The Chrome method leads to many unnecessary downloads in a non-temp folder location, bloating my storage.  I've turned on the option in Edge Chromium to "ask where to save file before download", but it only works intermittently and still doesn't allow the user to open the file to a temp location for files the user doesn't plan to save long term (i.e. for files I only want to print, not save).

How do we get Microsoft to add the old IE/Edge download method back?  Seems like a very simple code.  I know that Edge Chromium accepts extensions, can someone with the appropriate skills build an extension to add back the functionality?

Thanks,

NSR

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Go to  ... (More) ellipse

Select Settings

Click on Downloads > Enable Save Location

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pat.  Thank you for your input.  It doesn't appear that the "Enable Save Location" setting exists in Edge Chromium.  Under the Downloads settings the user is provided with two options, 1) set the local folder location for downloads and 2) select option "Ask me where to save before downloading."  As noted in my original question, the "Ask me where to save before downloading" does not work all the time and does not allow the user the option to open the download in a temp location.  This new process requires a lot of click through and unnecessary saves.

Under the old download method, if the downloaded document was something that I had no intention of saving for future use, I could just hit open and it would open from a default temp location, then after closing it I would never have to deal with the file again.

Under the new method, I can either allow it to be auto downloaded to my default Downloads folder (or other folder) where I can open from the browser download bar and then have to clean up the save folder manually myself later to clear the unwanted files, or I can turn on the "Ask me" setting and be forced to determine a save path for every file I download.  Neither of these are satisfactory solutions.

What do we need to do to get Microsoft to add back the old download functionality or have someone create a custom extension to add it back.  I'd do it myself if I knew how to code extensions, as it seems very straight forward.

Thanks,

NSR 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What do we need to do to get Microsoft to add back the old download functionality or have someone create a custom extension to add it back.  I'd do it myself if I knew how to code extensions, as it seems very straight forward.

Thanks,

NSR 

Use the Feedback link and Request these Features. Software/Developers do read this feedback. 

For Coding I'd recommend MSDN Forums. This is the Developer Forum and someone may assist with coding.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=&forum=&filter=&sort=relevancedesc&brandIgnore=true&searchTerm=Edge+Chromium

Technet IT members may assist with scripting code:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=&forum=&filter=&sort=relevancedesc&brandIgnore=true&searchTerm=Edge+Chromium

Scripting Forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?category=scripting

More options:

Microsoft Edge Accessibility - User Feedback (many use this for Edge improvements)

Just is just an FYI - UserBox Sites - Members post Likes/Dislikes and Requests for Features to these web sites. Again, Support/Developers do read and reply to these threads. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are in a similar situation. In our Enterprise environment, users complain that the Open vs. Save As dialog is missing. 
Our solution is to run the Edge in IE compatibility mode. In this case, this dialog appears again. However, the Edge then renders with the IE engine again.

It would be very good if this option could be implemented.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Facing the same issue. I like the new Edge for sure. The experience and performance is surely good. However, the need to download the file ad then open it seperately and then delete it manually as well. Will be great to be able to use it as normal like before where the run or open options are available. the file simply opens in the temp folder and when you close the respected app the file is removed automatically. @Microsoft please sort this. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the file simply opens in the temp folder and when you close the respected app the file is removed automatically. @Microsoft please sort this. 

You can change download location in Settings

Mine go to Downloads folder and are available even after opening the file.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is exactly what we are trying to avoid. We do not want to download the file. Just open and close and its gone from your computer. There are a number of users who on a daily basis open 100s of file for refference. we don't want thse files collecting in the downloads folder or having the need to remove them manually later on.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What type of download are you referring to?

You should be able to open as an example .pdf files if that's what you're downloading?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes .pdf and other doc files like word and excel. We don't want to download them, we just want to open and review them. In the previous Edge, when we clicked on the file it would open in PDF/Excel and we could review. When done close the file and its gone. Now with the new Edge, it downloads the file in a folder. we have to open it ourselves or it may open in the respected app, but then when we are done the files will need to be manually removed from the downloads folder. That is extra inconvenient work. I am now seeing users avoiding Edge cause they don't this trouble. I do not want to avoid it, I like the new Edge, except a few teething issues if I may call them so.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Settings > Apps > Default Apps

.pdf > Select Edge

.xlsx > Select Edge

.xlsm > Select Edge

.xls > Select Edge

.xltx > Select Edge

.xltm > Select Edge

See if that changes the behavior of the browser.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 14,316 Applies to:

Related Forums