Edge automatically adding search engines

Every time I use the address bar I get suggestions, based on history, favorites, etc. This is good.

However whenever I'm using a website, literally any website with a search bar in it, Edge is idiotically adding that as a search engine. It has added amazon, ebay, even MS, my job's website, websites from clients, and other confidential websites. This is a rather new behavior, it didn't happen, say a month ago.

So, basically I originally have this:

If I type the letter A, for Amazon for example, I see this:

So far so good, this is a completely well expected behavior.

Now, once I am in the Amazon site, I search for whatever product I want to buy. Immediately Edge, automatically, invasively and needlessly adds Amazon as a search engine:

It's doing the same with literally every single page I use. Every single one. So eventually my address bar looks like this:

And then like this:

And then like this:

All because some dropout programmer in MS decided it would be an excellent idea to force any search box in any web page to be added as a search engine:

The only work around I have found is putting lots of dots in the "keyword" part but even a single-digit-IQ moron from MS should know better that this is not a solution.

So, is there any way to completely stop this idiotic behavior from Edge? It's invasive, distracting, unnecessary, and it's already getting more than irritating having over 50 unwanted search engines being automatically added by Edge, then having to manually delete them all every god damned mother F day.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how frustrating it is that whatever you search on any specific website, that search engine gets added in Edge Settings. Ideally, this should not be happening in Edge, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)

• What is the version of Edge installed on the PC? (Open Edge > click on (…) dots from top right corner > click on Settings > Click on About Microsoft edge from the left pane).

• Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

We would like you to reset edge and then check.

Reset Edge

1. Open Microsoft Edge

2. Click on the three dots (…) from the right top corner.

3. Select Settings from the drop down and click on Reset settings from the left pane.

4. Select Restore settings to their default values.

5. Relaunch Edge and check

Disclaimer: This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. You favorites, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 1,310 Applies to: