Bing keeps defaulting to open in a new tab, even after setting has been turned off

As the title says, I turn off the bing setting to open links in a new tab, but every now and again it turns back on again causing me to repeat the process. Is there a permanent solution for this?

Hello Bhutani,

Good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

Please try the following methods below.

Go to the link below
https://www.bing.com/account/general?ru=https%3...

**Make sure to uncheck the two options under "Results"

**Disable or Uninstall Edge extensions
Open Edge > Click 3 dots > Extensions
Please check if one of your Extensions is causing the issue.

**If this doesn't work, You may need to consider performing a Reset of Edge Chromium.

Open Edge then click 3 dots > Settings
Select Reset Settings > Restore settings to their default values
Click Reset
Restart your computer

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor
I hope you can respond to me within two days, I would appreciate it. This will allow me to see and be notified of your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry but his answer is either incorrect or misread the issue. The reason this resets periodically is that Microsoft makes "Open links from search results in a new tab or window" and "Open links from news results in a new tab or window" ON by default with every update. This behavior should be OFF by default. Changing this would solve the problem for everyone.

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You really are not paying attention nor is MS... Every time there is an update, Edge goes back to this wretched setting every time, ignoring our preferences. EVERY SINGLE UPDATE. This is irritating enough that I use Firefox quite often now. I want to use Edge but when you are incapable of transferring a simple setting from one version to the next, either the devs are incompetent or being intentionally annoying.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Edge goes back to this wretched setting every time, ignoring our preferences.

I'd just point out that this is not an Edge setting; it's a preference for Bing, set on a Bing page after clicking on the icon in its top corner to open the page preferences menu, selecting Settings and More to arrive at the Settings page: Search - Settings (bing.com). The preference for opening in a new tab or the same one is under Results.

Some preferences are probably stored in the Bing account, so it's advisable to ensure that you're signed in with a Microsoft Account on the Bing page. Apart from that, preferences for bing.com are stored in cookies in the same way as for most web pages. To avoid reverting preferences to their defaults, make sure that cookies and site data for [*].bing.com are being retained.

These preferences are not affected by updates to Edge, unless cookies and site data are removed.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am always signed in and it happens with every edge update, even minor updates. So yes, while a bing setting technically, it goes back to ms defaults every time. I already know how to change it, I have done it countless times on several machines. It is annoying and unnecessary

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2024 Views 4,920 Applies to: