Outlook for Mac preview 15.11.0 keeps forgetting my Exchange password

Just updated to 15.11.0 and immediately got this issue, where Outlook will keep asking for my Exchange password at random intervals (sometimes several times within a minute).

I cleared the 'Exchange' entries in Keychain Access, to no avail.

Upon closer inspection it looks like Outlook is actively overwriting the password value in the Keychain Access entry with a blank value... But I don't know what triggers it.

Is anyone facing the same issue?

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 853 Applies to:
So it looks like changing my login from domain\username to my email address is fixing things (for now at least. Original post found here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The update kb3048682 works for the version 15.6. Until MS comes with another update I think changing the login information would be the best idea.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just updated to 15.11.0 and immediately got this issue, where Outlook will keep asking for my Exchange password at random intervals (sometimes several times within a minute).

Upon closer inspection it looks like Outlook is actively overwriting the password value in the Keychain Access entry with a blank value... But I don't know what triggers it.

Hi, I have the exact same issue. I had to revert back to 15.10.0. 

I noticed an update this morning, 15.11.1. I tried it and I have the same problem again. Again I reverted back to 15.10.0 and sent feedback to Microsoft.

Like you, I also cleared Keychain entry, and I also deleted/add my Exchange account again. Same problem on both iMAC and MacBook.

Have you found a fix?

Charles

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for documenting @thinklad. This appears to be a known issue that Microsoft has yet to address. A lot of temporary fixes have been proposed, but nothing permanent. See the master thread here where we are attempting to track all issues related to this problem:

Outlook for Mac 15.11 - Repeated password prompts still an issue ...

Really obnoxious bug.

SeattleExpat

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same B.S. in the official release version of Outlook 2016 for Mac.

I just downloaded 15.11.2 an I still get the same certificate error and prompt for password every time.

Same **** for the past 3 months. If I'm forced to use Outlook at work at least make the Mac software functional.

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea if Microsoft will repair this option. I have refrained from using Outlook since months after an update. I have the same problem as above which literally makes the software useless. Very frustrating and this cannot be an isolated issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

Michael-

Nope. Not an isolated issue. A bunch of us have been tracking this problem in another thread found here ... 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macofficeo365-macoutlook/outlook-for-mac-15x-repeated-password-prompts/cdf6e80f-d426-4a21-b552-e260b66b58a9

... all hoping Microsoft will pay attention and try to correct this problem. So far, nothing doing. Recent research by one of the contributors to that thread found that Outlook for Mac inadvertently adds extra information to the logon credentials stored in the KeyChain App that is likely the culprit for this issue. The only way Microsoft will pay attention to this is if we get loud about it. We posted up a comment on the Microsoft Office blog here ...

https://blogs.office.com/2015/07/09/office-2016-for-mac-is-here/#comment-436391

... that others can reply to and affirm that this is not a one-off issue. I encourage anyone experiencing this issue to comment there as well.

Here's hoping-

SeattleExpat

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I would run out of polite bad words from my vocabulary...This is piece of SH*T...

How did they pass the QA to be called an official release? It is MS not some Joe's basement...

Their own software doesnot work well when connecting to their own server!!! Some one needs to knock on those testers head to figure out why!

Sorry this didn't help.