Outlook for Mac 2016 crash on El Capitan

Outlook 2011 Update: We released the fix for Outlook 2011 hang on El Capitan with update 14.5.6. Some users reported issue persisting and this was isolated to specific languages. Please update to 14.5.7. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097266.

Outlook for Mac 2016 Update: We shipped Office 2016 October update (15.15). El Capitan users, please update to the latest OS X 10.11.1 that Apple released today.

Thanks,
Sunder

Program Manager | Outlook for Mac

Discussion Info

Last updated October 26, 2019 Views 1,053 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Outlook 15.15 still hanging on El Capitan. Happens almost every 30 minutes. I'm that close to moving to use Apple Mail.

For those of us who are waiting on this to be resolved before updating to El Capitan, is Outlook the only application that is still unstable? If we just use Word and Excel, have these been updated to run successfully on El Cap? I believe that the Office suite won't be fully stable until the first point release is out, i.e. 10.11.1...

In my case (Office 15.15 + El Capitan):

Excel - OK, some crashes from time to time

Word - I don't use it that much, but zero crashes

PowerPoint - OK, no crashes, use it a lot!

Outlook:

- Mail some crashes (One a day)

- Calendar: Unusable if I click calendar I have 5 seconds before it crashes.

Contacted support and their suggestions:

- Rebuild Database (There is no option for this in 15.15, LOL)

- Reinstall office (Typical Microsoft, LOL)

- Install patch 15.14.2 (I said that I'm on 15.15, LOL!)

- They asked to have remote access... hmm... Don't think so.

Hi,

Apologize for the issue and suggestions that didn't help you. We continue to work with Apple to resolve El Capitan issues.

When Outlook 15.15 crashes, do you see the error reporting dialog come up? If so, can you please click on more information button and copy the contents of the message and share it?

Thanks,

Sunder

To further reinforce what Sunder has been saying, news reports indicate Apple is working on fixes in El Capitan:

https://www.macnn.com/articles/15/10/15/company.also.asks.developer.public.testers.to.focus.on.mail.130858/

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

Folks,

If you are using El Capitan, please update to 10.11.1 that Apple released today.

Thanks,

Sunder

Nothing has changed.

Outlook 2016 freezes sometime. 

It hangs everytime, when i send the error report as well.

Hi,

Does it freeze and you see a beachball or is it crashing and you get error reporting dialog? What version of Outlook and OS X are you running? Can you double check you are on latest - Office 15.15 and OS X 10.11.1?

Thanks,

Sunder

Hello,

i see the beachball and it freezes. I then force closing it and the error report appears.

I cannot picture a pattern to reproduce the freeze, it happens sometime more often, when i click on a Email to see the preview in the preview box, having a window with a new message to be composed, opened in background.

OSX 10.11.1

Outlook 15.15 (151008)

I have started using this morning and had one crash only.

1 crash in five hours is a record for most Microsoft products

No beachball, just crashed and there was no send error button this time. Just the "more information"and "close"

OS 10.11.1

Outlook 15.15 (151008)