Moving outlook data file on outlook 2016 for mac

hi,

i have recently bought a subscription of office 365. I am unable to find and move the data file of outlook 2016 to my external hard drive. I need to do this as my macbook has a 128 ssd and max chunck of internal storage would be used by mails downloaded via outlook.

would be great in case someone can guide me the steps of finding and moving the outlook data file to my external hdd and thereafter the outlook maps the externally saved file and accesses and stores data in tht new location itself.

thanks!

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2019 Views 1,331 Applies to:
There is no option to move the data file in Outlook 2016 for mac to a different folder or drive. Please consider sending feedback to Microsoft

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's clearly not supported at all!
I suspect it might work if you moved the folder and had either an alias or a symlink at the original location, but it sounds like something fairly risky…
 Corentin

I do *not* work for MS
Je ne travaille *pas* pour MS

Sorry this didn't help.

This is kind of wierd. Was using office 2011 for mac uptill now in which this was possible. Switching back to the older version sounds foolish. 

I am sure there would be some way out to build up new outlook identity on external drive. I exachange obout 70-80 mails daily with attachments, my internal storage will get screwed up. 

I still hope for the best.

thnx

pranav

Sorry this didn't help.

It was possible in Outlook 2011, but unsupported as well…

That being said, I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it's untested and unsupported and "bad things" might happen.

If you're confident enough, you could give it a try though.

I'm concerned about the sandboxing and the fact that it might not be happy with the new relocation of the folder.

Corentin

I do *not* work for MS
Je ne travaille *pas* pour MS

Sorry this didn't help.

It was possible in Outlook 2011, but unsupported as well…

That being said, I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it's untested and unsupported and "bad things" might happen.

If you're confident enough, you could give it a try though.

I'm concerned about the sandboxing and the fact that it might not be happy with the new relocation of the folder.

Corentin

Does not work.  Ugh.  I cannot use Outlook 2016 because of this.  I have too much in my data file to fit on my desktop. 

With Outlook 2011, I was able to move my data file to my external hdd, and then put a symbolic link (like an alias) in its place that accessed the external data file.  When I did that with Outlook 2016, as soon as I opened Outlook, it created a new data file on my internal hdd.  It would not jump through the link to the external data file. 

As a result, I am using Mail (native Apple app) for my mail.  Mail allows you to use a symbolic link to the data file on an external hdd.   

Microsoft:  PLEASE FIX THIS!!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Apple imposed sandboxing. I don't think Microsoft can undo what Apple has done.

You might try copying your Profile from your startup volume to your external hard drive. Then make an alias of the profile and try to replace the actual profile with the alias. Or you might try something similar with the Profiles folder and include all your profiles. As Cortig pointed out, we have no idea whether or not this will work.

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

Sorry this didn't help.

No, wouldn't work.  As soon as I opened Outlook, it created a new profile, even though I put in a symlink to the profile I moved to the external HDD. 

Sorry this didn't help.