Excel for Mac 2016 - Cannot use object linking and embedding

I'm getting an error upon opening even a blank workbook in Excel 2016 for Mac: "Alert: Cannot use object linking and embedding". This error repeats almost every time I interact with any spreadsheet. I've seen advise on how to solve this on a PC by adjusting the "Launching user" in DCOM, but what's the trick for a Mac user? 
Answer
Answer
My "hack" worked so far. I did the search for the file mentioned above. Could not find that exact name but I found this one: com.microsoft.Office365.plist. I then added some text ('blah' in my case) to the end of the file name so I did not delete the file but made it not findable by the program. When I went back into Excel the problem did not reoccur and a new com.microsoft... file is created by virtue of using the program. In other words my faulty "blah" file is there and a new plist file is there and the problem is gone.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Update el Capitan to the latest version. It solves the problem immediately  

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Resolve-boot-related-issues-in-Office-2016-for-Mac-El-Capitan-4dc92cb5-57d1-43d3-aec7-6076b0da547f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2020 Views 6,740 Applies to: