Word 2011 Footnotes

Automated footnotes in Word 2011 (i.e., double click on reference work in Citation Manager) inserts entry for inline notes rather than footnotes.  Submitted trouble report several months ago (shortly after release of Office 2011) and have heard nothing regarding the priority.  I understand that there there are security and stability issues that may receive a higher priority.  However scholarly and professional writing require footnotes for citation of references and explanatory comments.  Footnotes worked properly in previous version of Word for Mac.  I'd appreciate a response regarding the priority and estimated time to integrate this fix.

Thank you

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2019 Views 12,204 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I guess there are many needs that Word's designers have not fully covered. However, I found a workaround for you:
  1. Go to the end of your document.
  2. In the Ribbon, select Document Elements.
  3. In the References group, select Turabian (if you don't see this, make your document's window wider by grabbing it from the bottom right corner).
  4. Next to that, click on Bibliography and insert either one of the two choices (in my test, they seem to differ only in their titles). From what you described, you may already have done this.
  5. Now Save As your document as Word 97 format (.doc). This will cause all fields that the old version does not understand, to convert to text format.
  6. Reopen the original .docx document and place both documents side by side.
Now, whenever you need to insert the full Turabian information into a footnote, just fetch it from the .doc document. A handy way to do this using only the mouse, is to enable "Drag-and-drop text editing" in Preferences > Edit. Hover your mouse over that option and read the instructions at the bottom. Once you get the hang of it, it really beats using the Clipboard.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.