Why are my toolbar icons all wrong?

I just updated Office 2011 today and now my toolbar icons (?; the ones at the top) are all wrong in Word. "Create a new document" is now a right arrow button, "new from template" is a magnifying glass with an "F" in it, "undo is a pair of scissors," etc. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix this? Thanks.
|
Answer
Answer
AndrewML, I had exactly the same problem as you, including the failed AutoUpdate install.  I followed the instructions to get the update installed (moved my /library/automater folder temporarily) per this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macstart/mac-office-2011-update-1424-error-encountered/dfe71966-ebf3-4baf-bcf6-e8d3190a184a?page=1&tm=1348723350158

Presto.  Update installed and icons fixed.

Thanks all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
First, don't panic :-) In all probability it's just a matter of  running Disk Utility to repair disk permissions, then doing a power-off Shut Down. Things should be back to normal when you next start up.

If that doesn't rectify the situation reply here for further suggestions. By all means, though, resist any temptation to reinstall Office... I can virtually guarantee you that it isn't the solution :-)
AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???
Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2021 Views 4,902 Applies to: