• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Why are my toolbar icons all wrong?

TimMcEwen asked on
I just updated Office 2011 today and now my toolbar icons (?; the ones at the top) are all wrong in Word. "Create a new document" is now a right arrow button, "new from template" is a magnifying glass with an "F" in it, "undo is a pair of scissors," etc. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix this? Thanks.
7 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
GeoffHsu replied on

AndrewML, I had exactly the same problem as you, including the failed AutoUpdate install.  I followed the instructions to get the update installed (moved my /library/automater folder temporarily) per this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macstart/mac-office-2011-update-1424-error-encountered/dfe71966-ebf3-4baf-bcf6-e8d3190a184a?page=1&tm=1348723350158

Presto.  Update installed and icons fixed.

Thanks all.
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
First, don't panic :-) In all probability it's just a matter of  running Disk Utility to repair disk permissions, then doing a power-off Shut Down. Things should be back to normal when you next start up.

If that doesn't rectify the situation reply here for further suggestions. By all means, though, resist any temptation to reinstall Office... I can virtually guarantee you that it isn't the solution :-)
Please mark HELPFUL or ANSWERED as appropriate to keep list as clean as possible ☺
Regards,
Bob J.
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress