Unable to print documents that used Cambria Math for equations

Original Title: "Problems with Equations in MS Word 2011"
Seems that there are two problems with Equations in Office 2011 for Mac - 

1. You can't print documents that used Cambria Math for equations to some of the older printers, such as HP LaserJet 1320. Someone else posted it here - http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Macintosh-Compatible-Products/OFFENDING-COMMAND-definefont-LaserJet-1320n/td-p/2364805 - but no solution is found yet.

2. I found other fonts that can be used for formulas, such as XITS, but Word will not save it as a default in the Equations Preferences window.

Anyone has ideas I can try?

Mac OS 10.7.2
Office 2011 (latest patches applied)

Thanks.
Gene

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2019 Views 2,579 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Phillip,

Thank you for the tip. That seemed to have fixed the issue!

I discovered that even though Cambria Math is an OpenType font, it was showing with .ttf extension. Renaming it to .otf had no effect. 

I used FontXchange to convert the font to OTF. The file size went from 1.4MB to 2.8MB but all my documents that would hang the printer when Cambria Math was used, now print correctly.

Thanks again for the tip.

Regards,
Gene

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Try a new Driver from The printer Company.  If still doesn't work then ...
Before buying a new printer try this.

1. Download the software FontXchange.
  2. Open FontXchange drag the font in question and set for Opentype Mac.
  3. Then click convert, it will suggest a Folder to save to usually to the Fonts folder in the User Directory. click okay or save. Now remove the font you converted and save as a zip file as an archive in case you need it. Remove the folder with the converted fonts to the desktop. now ether drop on Fontbook to install or simply drop into Folder you removed old font from.
  4. Next use some type of Font cache  removal app such as FontNuke and remove all font caches .the restart computer.
  5. Now try the equations and see if the fonts actually prints.  The same company also has a Repair Program that usually will repair defective fonts (Font Doctor).
If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.