Selective global font change?

I have a long Word document in which parts of the text are in TNR font and parts in Cambria. I need to get these two fonts reduced to one font, but the doc also has some symbol fonts etc here and there that I need to preserve. Is there a way to do a global *selective* font change? i.e. Can I specify that I want everything in TNR converted to Cambria, but *not* anything in another font? Doing a select-all and change to Cambria will change all my symbol fonts as well, of course.

Thanks -

WTP

OSX 10.9.3

Word for Mac 2011 14.1.0

Answer
Answer

Identify the style that is set in TNR, and change its font to Cambria.  Three clicks and you're done.  It really is that simple!

If you are a victim of a document in which the styles in use are random (or the whole document is in Normal style) then you need to use Find/Replace to selectively replace a font.

1. Before you do that, change the styles in use to have Cambria as the font.  Otherwise subsequent editing of the document will cause TNR to keep coming back.
  2. Now bring up the Find/Replace dialog by going to the Edit menu and choosing Find>Advanced Find and Replace.  Sorry, the new ribbon-based search/replace mechanism is a cringeworthy usability disaster that actually left out the controls you will need.
  3. In the Find tab, make sure the Find What box is empty (check carefully to ensure it does not have any spaces in it)
  4. Click the small grey downward arrow at the bottom left of that dialog, to reveal the rest of the controls.
  5. On the Format drop-down choose Font then select TNR.  Make sure you leave everything else in this tab blank, so we get "all" instances of TNR.
  6. At the top of the dialog, change to the Replace tab.
  7. Click in the Replace With box and make sure it too is empty (clicking in it is important: otherwise you can't set the Replace font).
  8. Again, in the Format drop-down select Font, then select Cambria
  9. Click Replace All

Note:  If you have not changed the font in your styles, TNR will continue to break out all over the document like a dose of the measles.  What we have done with the Advanced Find/Replace is effectively hard-coded the font in parts of the document. That's a bad idea: not only does it make the document unnecessarily large and complex internally, but it means that any editing that causes text to revert to the formatting of the underlying style (such as a paste...) will keep bringing TNR back.

Hope this helps

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2023 Views 816 Applies to: