Keyboard shortcuts reassign themselves

Word's built-in keyboard shortcuts sometimes reassign themselves. 

For example, if I edit a table, such as copying and pasting cells, and return to working on the rest of the document, command-c no longer becomes available, command-v turns into "cut" and command-] becomes paste. Those functions listed in the pulldown menus no longer include those keyboard shortcuts. However, if I use the contextual menu, the cut/copy/paste functions work (and also the contextual menu lists the no longer functioning command-c/x/v shortcuts). Similar things seem to happen after I import a photo into the file. 

It doesn't matter if I am working in a .doc or .docx document.

If I quit and restart the program, everything goes back to normal until I edit a table again.

This has been happening since I installed Word 2011, on my MacBook Pro and Air, and on various versions of OSX (now running 10.9.1).

Does this happen to anyone else out there?
Madeline

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2019 Views 1,908 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Madeline, thanks for chiming in again!

Like you, I've gotten mostly used to having to click on the Replace tab, although it is irritating to have to do it.  Showing both Find and Replace at the same time allows one to do either, without mousing or track padding around to hit the Replace tab.  

At the same, though, I found the same thing you did-- the reassignment of keystrokes is more irritating.  

I've also found that there are times that I like the "new and improved" basic Find that shows each instance in the document.

Of course, worst of all in my situation is the intermittent crashing after invoking a Find, but I'm glad to hear that it's NOT happening to you!  It gives me hope!

Oh, and relevant to the original query… I have not had a key reassignment since I turned off Dictation in Preferences and quit Word and relaunched it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Madeline, thanks for chiming in again!

Like you, I've gotten mostly used to having to click on the Replace tab, although it is irritating to have to do it.  Showing both Find and Replace at the same time allows one to do either, without mousing or track padding around to hit the Replace tab.  

At the same, though, I found the same thing you did-- the reassignment of keystrokes is more irritating.  

I've also found that there are times that I like the "new and improved" basic Find that shows each instance in the document.

Of course, worst of all in my situation is the intermittent crashing after invoking a Find, but I'm glad to hear that it's NOT happening to you!  It gives me hope!

Oh, and relevant to the original query… I have not had a key reassignment since I turned off Dictation in Preferences and quit Word and relaunched it.

Huh. Does that mean you'd had Dictation turned on? I have NEVER turned it on. I wonder if activating it and then deactivating it would solve that problem! I'll have to try. (Of course, I'm not sure the next time I'll be working on a file with a table in it...)

Sorry this didn't help.

Rats!  The keystrokes just got reassigned.  So turning off Dictation does not alter all this!  (Yes, I had turned on Dictation at one point, speaking rather than typing in a series of numbers).

At least, quitting and restarting Word still works.

And, reassignment is much easier to live with than the crashes on command-f!  (Which can lose one unsaved work!)

H'm… I may set up a macro that automatically saves before starting a search (hence, command-f would issue a command-s followed by Advanced Find & Replace).

I even tried creating a main-level menu item under Edit for the Advanced Find.  No dice!   I wonder what's different about your set up that command-F (for AFR) works OK?!

Sorry this didn't help.

Has any one checked to see if it's a problem in the 2016 Office Preview?

Sorry this didn't help.

As soon as I updated to Yosemite a few months ago (right, I'm a late bloomer), Word 2011 started acting on me. It rearranged the options in the Edit menu and mixed the displayed shortcuts. Luckily, unlike for some posters, it did not alter shortcut correspondence.

I also discovered that several times a day Word enters thousands of log entries related to menu assignments. You can confirm by launching Console in Applications > Utilities, selecting "All Messages" in the list to the left and searching for "Microsoft Word."

My solution was to disguise the Edit menu. Changing its name did not work, but moving it in the menu bar from fourth to fifth position did. (For that I used View > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars and Menus.)

Now Word no longer finds the "Edit" menu, does not mess with it and no longer generates garbage logs.

… 

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

Sorry this didn't help.

WOW!

That sounds like the answer. Thanks.

Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to change the position of the EDIT menu and guess what happened:

That induced the dreaded keyboard shortcuts reassignment.

Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

14.5.2 version of Word 2011 and still no joy!

It just changed the key assignments for cut, copy, paste.  It also still eventually crashes on the command-F when assigned the old Find.  The only solution is to do a Save As on the document itself.

That fixes it for a while, until it happens again!  :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder if the keyboard shortcuts reassignments occur in the new Word (Office 2016, v15.latest)?

Sorry this didn't help.

That'd be good to know!

Already seeing some reviews of it but, of course, they fail to examine long-standing glitches, lost good features, etc.

With luck, though, one in the know will report on it!

Sorry this didn't help.