Formatting messed up in Word 2011 and PowerPoint 2011 - new installation

I just bought a new iMac and installed Office 2011 for Mac.  Now, when I try to open Word documents (from old as well as new versions of Word), the document appears blank except for a few random characters and some formatting symbols.  On the styles menu, when I click on show "Show Styles Guide", the document displays various style markers as if the document is there but can't be displayed.  Sometimes, clicking "Clear Formatting" causes the text to reappear; sometimes not.  This has happened on multiple Word documents of various generations of Word, all of which I have confirmed are uncorrupted files when viewed on other machines.  Also, PowerPoint opens with blank slides on files that I have confirmed are uncorrupted on other machines.  Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 9,428 Applies to:
Answer

What you're witnessing is most likely a font issue - especially if the documents were produce by a pre-Office v.X version of Word. Follow the procedure here for resolving duplicates & validating fonts to see if it helps correct the issue.

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/fontweeding.html

Also, make sure you have Office fully updated - 14.1.2 is the current level.

Regards,

Bob J.

Please mark HELPFUL or ANSWERED as appropriate to keep list as clean as possible ☺
Regards,
Bob J.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
I finally succeeded with a version of this. I went through the Fonts Disabled folder & validated these missing fonts one by one, then reinstalled them & restarted. Whew!

Ruth

FYI

I searched the forum for problems with Times New Roman, found this answer by user JaniceBeth under "Times New Roman not listed as a Font Option."  Following these steps solved my problem too:

1) I needed to quit all the applications I had running. 
2) To get to the library, I went to the Finder, clicked on Go, then clicked on Home. That got me to the folder for the library. 
3) Once I got into the library, I found the Fonts folder; there were four fonts in it. The tech person had me drag the fonts out of the folder onto the desktop. 
4) Then I restarted the computer. Abracadabra! My novel had returned. I even had Times New Roman again. 
5) The support person said to throw the four fonts I'd dragged onto the desktop into the trash.

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.